Author Topic: Customize IPTC pad  (Read 4716 times)

Offline Dimitri

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist and 3D stereo sports photographer
    • View Profile
    • Quebec Press Newsphotos
Customize IPTC pad
« on: July 20, 2007, 11:31:34 AM »
I would like to suggest to implement a feature where it allows Custom IPTC fields/templates to be displayed.

For example, when the IPTC stationary pad is brought up, 37 IPTC fields are displayed, of which one may only use on a regular basis only half of the fields (leaving the other half constantly blank).

So the idea is to be able to be able to make a custom IPTC stationary pad, displaying only a selected number of IPTC fields.

In other words, hide any unwanted fields.  This way, the IPTC pad will be smaller and the workflow would be a lot faster, efficient and less prone to omissions.  For example, if I customize my IPTC stationary pad to display 17 fields, I now that ALL 17 fields must be filled.  (there were a number of times in my big rush on the sidelines where I forgot to fill in a required field)  However, if I'll be able to display ONLY the fields which my wire requires me to fill in, with a quick glance I'll know if I thoroughly completed my captioning or not.

Thanks again, for making the best PM even better!

Cheers,

Dimitri Papadopoulos
Montreal, Canada
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 11:55:03 AM by Dimitri »
Dimitri Papadopoulos
Newswire Photojournalist and 3D stereo sports photographer

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Customize IPTC pad
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 12:08:55 PM »
Dimitri,

I would like to suggest to implement a feature where it allows Custom IPTC fields/templates to be displayed.

For example, when the IPTC stationary pad is brought up, 37 IPTC fields are displayed, of which one may only use on a regular basis only half of the fields (leaving the other half constantly blank).

So the idea is to be able to be able to make a custom IPTC stationary pad, displaying only a selected number of IPTC fields.

In other words, hide any unwanted fields.  This way, the IPTC pad will be smaller and the workflow would be a lot faster, efficient and less prone to omissions.  For example, if I customize my IPTC stationary pad to display 17 fields, I now that ALL 17 fields must be filled.  (there were a number of times in my big rush on the sidelines where I forgot to fill in a required field)  However, if I'll be able to display ONLY the fields which my wire requires me to fill in, with a quick glance I'll know if I thoroughly completed my captioning or not.

We have plans to make the IPTC dialogs (the non-classic ones) customizable.  I'm not sure when we'll do that but we're planning to do that.

In the meantime, I suggest that you could make an IPTC Stationery Pad snapshot (use the lightning bolt button) to make an IPTC Stationery Pad with the word "REQUIRED" in each field that needs to be filled in.  Then you can use a single click to bring it up, replace all of the required fields and then you won't have missed any.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 02:55:39 PM »
Kirk-

Why didn't I think of using "REQUIRED"? Thanks for the tip!!!

Delane
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 03:53:58 AM »
"Pruning" the IPTC fields that are shown in the IPTC dialogues sounds like an excellent idea to me too!
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl