Author Topic: Find command  (Read 5818 times)

Offline Serge Nelissen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Find command
« on: July 23, 2007, 01:13:33 PM »
Hello,

It is my understanding that the Find command searches the current contact sheet. If many pictures are to be searched, I must first build a very large contact sheet, and that takes time (even with PM  :)).
Therefore I suggest to implement a Find command in the Navigator pane, thus _building_ a contact sheet instead. This would improve performance and make it more user friendly because I wouldn't be forced to change my view to 'Selected' after the Find command has finished.

Thanks for listening,

Serge Nelissen
Serge from Belgium (8 months winter - 4 months bad weather)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Find command
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 02:00:07 PM »
Serge,

It is my understanding that the Find command searches the current contact sheet. If many pictures are to be searched, I must first build a very large contact sheet, and that takes time (even with PM  :)).
Therefore I suggest to implement a Find command in the Navigator pane, thus _building_ a contact sheet instead. This would improve performance and make it more user friendly because I wouldn't be forced to change my view to 'Selected' after the Find command has finished.

The Navigator knows nothing about files, only folders.  How would adding a Find command to the Navigator improve the ability to search for photos?

-Kirk

Offline Serge Nelissen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 02:06:11 PM »
> The Navigator knows nothing about files, only folders.
I know, but I meant searching IPTC-info in _all_ the pictures the folder (and subfolders) contains.

Serge
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 02:11:37 PM by Serge Nelissen »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 02:41:41 PM »
> The Navigator knows nothing about files, only folders.
I know, but I meant searching IPTC-info in _all_ the pictures the folder (and subfolders) contains.

I see, well that would take potentially a long time to complete.  Better to just wait until we have our cataloging capability added to PM.  With a catalog, finding particular photos with specific metadata would be nearly instantaneous.

-Kirk

Offline Serge Nelissen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 02:47:49 PM »
> I see, well that would take potentially a long time to complete.
Not longer than first building a contact sheet with thumbnails, and then finding a keyword.

> Better to just wait until we have our cataloging capability added to PM.
I'm not very in favour of that feature... if I reorganize my files at the OS level (Windows), the catalog database will become unusable. In order to keep the database in sync, I will have to import picures with 'Ingest', but if I add pictures at the OS level, the database will be out of sync.

Maybe you could implement a kind of IPTC-cache at the directory level (like you do for arrangements), but a central database ?

So, my point of view is to keep all (meta) data inside the pictures, eventually using cache files to improve performance.

Serge

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 03:33:35 PM by Serge Nelissen »