Photo Mechanic > Support

PM very slow to launch.etc

<< < (3/3)

kbell:

--- Quote from: FairfieldPhoto on July 03, 2006, 08:01:57 AM ---My longest wait was over 3 minutes. 

When I am in a "hurry" now, I use Windows Explorer first to disconnect all network drives that I don't need.  Since a lot of time I am culling/organizing off the network, I don't need ANY mapped network drives.  PM starts right up then and just hums along.

--- End quote ---

Mike,

This is a complicated issue for us.  The problem is not specific to PM, it is a Windows issue and the nature of the problem can differ depending on what networking software is being used and whether the network servers are running different versions of Windows than the client machines.

In the latest build of PM (4.4.3.3 or later) the Navigator won't verify any folders until the first access, and Network neighborhood is collapsed upon program exit to help minimize this problem.

Microsoft has several items in their support database relating to this same problem and they have two suggested solutions.  One is to, as you suggested, disconnect all mapped drives before switching to a new location where those drives aren't available.  They also recommend unchecking the "Reconnect at logon" checkbox.  This will speed up not only PM, but Windows startup and other applications as well.

The other thing they suggest is for your network administrator to implement a logon script that makes all the drive connections when the machine starts up.  This script will only run when you are connected to your network and subsequent accesses to those drives from any application will be faster.

Windows Vista has some enhancements that are designed to deal with the slow network connections issue.

- Kathy

Marty Ojaste:
Here is a trick I use;

- Add all the highest level folders of all the places where I have photos to the favourites.
- Then close down the navigator window,
- Then exit.

When you come back in, it will be faster... until you need the navigator window for the remote drives, then it will be as slow as it was before.

BTW: you can't add a disk to favourites, only sub-folders.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version