Author Topic: Folder Naming Scheme  (Read 6778 times)

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
Folder Naming Scheme
« on: October 15, 2007, 03:43:50 PM »
I used the following naming naming scheme in the hope that pix taken over a four day span would show up in the same folder but segregated by the date they were taken: Chicago/{year4}{month0}{day0}. As you can see from the screen shot of the Chicago folder, the last two days of pix were put into a sub-folder. Was my ingest scheme wrong or did I use the wrong destination path?
Related to this, how would I combine all the tagged pix from the various dates into one site? Thanks, Richard

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Folder Naming Scheme
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 03:56:09 PM »
Richard,

I used the following naming naming scheme in the hope that pix taken over a four day span would show up in the same folder but segregated by the date they were taken: Chicago/{year4}{month0}{day0}. As you can see from the screen shot of the Chicago folder, the last two days of pix were put into a sub-folder. Was my ingest scheme wrong or did I use the wrong destination path?

I don't know what your Ingest settings were because no image of the Ingest dialog was posted, but I'd guess that you made the Primary destination be that Chicago directory, and you told PM to create a Chicago directory followed by the dated folders.

Quote from: rbsandor
Related to this, how would I combine all the tagged pix from the various dates into one site?

I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'site'?  If you just want to put those two dated folders into the first Chicago folder, then I suggest using the Finder to manipulate the location of the folders.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 04:46:25 PM »
Kirk: here's a screen shot of the ingest screen I used. My desire was to have a Chicago folder with the pix segregated by the date they were taken. Did I have ingest set up properly to do so?

Re site, bad terminology, but what I meant was can I have pix tagged from all four dates open in one contact sheet rather than having to skip around to the various dates to view them? Thanks, Richard

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 05:01:28 PM »
Richard,

Kirk: here's a screen shot of the ingest screen I used. My desire was to have a Chicago folder with the pix segregated by the date they were taken. Did I have ingest set up properly to do so?

You need to either choose the '2007 Images' folder as your Primary destination, or remove the 'Chicago/' from the Folder Name field.

Quote from: rbsandor
Re site, bad terminology, but what I meant was can I have pix tagged from all four dates open in one contact sheet rather than having to skip around to the various dates to view them? Thanks, Richard

You can right-click on the Chicago folder in the Navigator and choose the option to open that folder and its subfolders into a Contact Sheet.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 05:49:29 PM »
Kirk: thanks for the rapid reply, but I think (know) I'm missing something here. If I leave out Chicago upon doing the second ingest for the second batch of pix and just go to 2007 Images, how do the pix from the second ingest wind up in the Chicago folder? What I'm asking for is the naming scheme for a given project or location where the pix are segregated by the date they were shot. I know that I can move them around in the Finder, but was looking for a way to have that done in PM. Is that possible? Thanks, Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 07:00:19 PM »
Richard,

Kirk: thanks for the rapid reply, but I think (know) I'm missing something here. If I leave out Chicago upon doing the second ingest for the second batch of pix and just go to 2007 Images, how do the pix from the second ingest wind up in the Chicago folder? What I'm asking for is the naming scheme for a given project or location where the pix are segregated by the date they were shot. I know that I can move them around in the Finder, but was looking for a way to have that done in PM. Is that possible?

Yes, absolutely.  Your original problem is that you are pointing the Primary destination at the Chicago folder, and in addition you're telling PM to create a folder called Chicago, followed by the dated folders.  So you need to not create the Chicago folder, or choose your Primary destination as the 2007 Images folder.  One or the other, not both.  Does that make sense?

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 09:24:38 AM »
Kirk: I think so. In the ingest screen, I created a folder with the naming scheme of Chicago/{year} etc. I ingested two days worth of pix and they were separated by date as desired. On doing the second ingest of days three and four, I left the naming scheme intact, which told PM to create another Chicago folder and segregate by date. Had I left that field blank and chosen Chicago as the primary destination, I would have wound up with this:
Chicago
 Day 1
 Day 2
 Day 3
 Day 4
Correct? Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 09:29:33 AM »
Richard,

Kirk: I think so. In the ingest screen, I created a folder with the naming scheme of Chicago/{year} etc. I ingested two days worth of pix and they were separated by date as desired. On doing the second ingest of days three and four, I left the naming scheme intact, which told PM to create another Chicago folder and segregate by date. Had I left that field blank and chosen Chicago as the primary destination, I would have wound up with this:
Chicago
 Day 1
 Day 2
 Day 3
 Day 4
Correct?

Look at your Primary destination path.  You see, you already have a Chicago folder selected.  So you're telling PM to create a Chicago folder inside the Chicago folder, followed by the dated folder.

Here is what is happening:

You've chosen "/Users/richardsandor/Desktop/2007 Images/Chicago" as your primary destination.  And in the Folder Name field you are telling PM to create a folder named "Chicago" and then inside this newly created folder you are telling PM to create a dated folder.  So PM creates this entire path:

/Users/richardsandor/Desktop/2007 Images/Chicago/Chicago/20071016

Which isn't what you want.  So you have two choices:

1) Leave the Folder Name field alone, and change the Primary destination to '2007 Images'
*OR*
2) Remove 'Chicago/' from the Folder Name field.

Either method will solve your problem.  Please try one of the two methods.  I think method #1 is the best because you can then use the Folder Name field to create other named "events" like 'Chicago' for you.

If you need more help, please contact me directly by clicking on my name to the left of this message and send me a "personal message" and give me your phone number and a best time to call.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 09:40:57 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 09:55:51 AM »
Kirk: the nickel just dropped and/or the light came on.  :) Thanks tons. Richard