Author Topic: File sizes  (Read 2526 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
File sizes
« on: November 24, 2007, 02:19:22 AM »
There must be some problem in the newest beta with the file size setting option. I try to save as a couple images and set the quality ruler to show 96kb. But all of the output images are above 150k (that is the limit for my desired website usage). I understand that this is only a rough estimate of the output filesize. This is why I set it to 96 instead of 150. But now NONE of the files are anywhere near the set value. Actually the smallest of them is 143k and they vary up to 225, what is really far from a below 100k size.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: File sizes
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 06:54:54 AM »
There must be some problem in the newest beta with the file size setting option. I try to save as a couple images and set the quality ruler to show 96kb. But all of the output images are above 150k (that is the limit for my desired website usage). I understand that this is only a rough estimate of the output filesize. This is why I set it to 96 instead of 150. But now NONE of the files are anywhere near the set value. Actually the smallest of them is 143k and they vary up to 225, what is really far from a below 100k size.

That slider refers to the compressed JPEG data only.  Things like ICC profiles, IPTC data, and IPTC4XMP data will make the file size increase accordingly.

-Kirk