Author Topic: Snapshots and Save Dialogs  (Read 4502 times)

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
Snapshots and Save Dialogs
« on: December 12, 2007, 08:33:01 AM »
Would it be possible to make the Snapshots button remember a path to a folder?  For instance I have several Snapshots in the Save dialog, but each one is usually used to go into a specific folder, which  currently has to be located through the OS X Save dialog.  The ability to remember a specific folder with each snapshot would be very handy.  It would also be useful in the Copy dialog and probably others too.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Snapshots and Save Dialogs
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 09:33:14 AM »
Would it be possible to make the Snapshots button remember a path to a folder?  For instance I have several Snapshots in the Save dialog, but each one is usually used to go into a specific folder, which  currently has to be located through the OS X Save dialog.  The ability to remember a specific folder with each snapshot would be very handy.  It would also be useful in the Copy dialog and probably others too.

That's a good idea.  But I'm not sure how it would work since you have to choose the destination folder after you would have made the snapshot.

How would we solve this chicken-and-egg problem?

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 02:03:45 PM »
Yes that conundrum did occur to me too, but I hoped you'd have an ingenious solution up your sleeve! ;)

Could you put an additional section in the dialog where you can specify the path to the folder?  In the Ingest dialog we have Destination Path and "Folder Name" fields, so a similar arrangement could be used in the save or copy dialogs.  Obviously if a specified folder does not exist it would be created, but it would also open up the possibility of using Variables in the path creation.  To keep current behaviour, the whole section of the dialog related to this could be check-box activated so that if unchecked it is ignored and the user is passed to the standard OS X "choose destination" (for save or copy) dialog. 

Would that be a viable approach?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 02:12:31 PM »
Sam,

Yes that conundrum did occur to me too, but I hoped you'd have an ingenious solution up your sleeve! ;)

Could you put an additional section in the dialog where you can specify the path to the folder?  In the Ingest dialog we have Destination Path and "Folder Name" fields, so a similar arrangement could be used in the save or copy dialogs.  Obviously if a specified folder does not exist it would be created, but it would also open up the possibility of using Variables in the path creation.  To keep current behaviour, the whole section of the dialog related to this could be check-box activated so that if unchecked it is ignored and the user is passed to the standard OS X "choose destination" (for save or copy) dialog. 

Would that be a viable approach?

Yes, I plan to add some folder naming facility to the Save As and Copy dialogs so that would fit in fine.

-Kirk