Author Topic: apply crop on many photos at once  (Read 11508 times)

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
apply crop on many photos at once
« on: December 26, 2007, 01:29:26 PM »
hi!

to apply a crop, I have to SAVE every photo.

It it possible to do this for all photos, like it for the rotation with ALT-R  works?
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: apply crop on many photos at once
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 02:21:50 PM »
hi!

It it possible to do this for all photos, like it for the rotation with ALT-R  works?

Just set all of your crops first.  Then select the images with crops on them.  Then use Save As... to apply the crops.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 03:25:35 AM »
hi!

Just set all of your crops first.  Then select the images with crops on them.  Then use Save As... to apply the crops.

-Kirk

But this does not work if you shoot RAW - I cannot use Save As for my CR2 or DNG files.  So there is no way to easily apply crops to RAWs.  Must convert files to JPG first in another program or extract the JPGs from the RAWS using PM.

Another vote for an upgrade of the Save As command.

Regards

Bill Wood

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 07:52:41 AM »
I understand the need for being able to manipulate RAW files in PM.  However, let me voice a concern learned from other tools with RAW conversion capabilities.  This is not meant as flame-bait, just a different perspective.

I am currently licensed for Bibble Pro as well as Adobe Capture Raw via Lightroom.  Every time a camera manufacturer comes out with a new RAW-capable camera, every software developer must go through a release cycle to enable the new camera in their software.  A LOT of programmer cycles are spent enabling this new capability then regression test/fix the code base.  This time could be used for other feature/function development (like the image catalog tool!).  From my experience, every time you open a code base for change, you run a significant chance of introducing NEW bugs that have to tracked down and fixed (then regression tested prior to release).  Also remember the challenges software vendors had enabling Canon 40D RAW support in a timely manner and imagine the extra time / effort Camera Bits would be incurring for just keeping up with camera manufacturers.

Bottom line, I am not a big supporter of introducing that many software releases plus overhead into PM.  When I shoot in RAW, I accept the additional overhead of using the other tools (including the additional time) and let PM do what it does best in the ingest, annotate, sort, cull, and burn  of images.  Anything that decreases reliability and performance or significantly increases the footprint (bloat) of my most important software packages is something that has to be watched very closely.

Just my $0.02 worth.

-Mike

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 09:46:41 AM »
Mike,

Assuming you were referring to my post.....  just a quick clarification.

I am not advocating that PM become a RAW converter.  RAW files generally (always?) contain an embedded JPG preview created by the camera.  I am merely asking that the Save As command work with the existing JPG preview.  This feature would not need to be updated when camera makers come out with new models and the code to extract and resize embedded previews is already in PM (email, export).

Regards,

Bill Wood

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 08:10:40 PM »
Bill,

You are absolutely right.  I did originally read that as a request to add Raw conversion.  My bad.  Maybe my post will leave something behind for those in the future wanting Raw conversion capability.

Thanks...

-Mike

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 06:47:20 AM »
But this does not work if you shoot RAW - I cannot use Save As for my CR2 or DNG files.

Kirk allready mentioned in some topics wishing for a Save as for RAWs that it will be implemented some time. For the returning urge he also supplied an Export script enabling the feature. See: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=2572.0
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 02:56:04 AM »
hi kirk, thats fine!

is there an varibale for copped photos or do I have to use "cropheight / cropwidth"

hi!

using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 06:33:30 AM »
hi kirk, thats fine!

is there an varibale for copped photos or do I have to use "cropheight / cropwidth"

hi!

There is a custom sort that will sort by {hascrop}.  Just change the Sort popup menu and choose it.  All of your cropped images will be grouped together.  Select them, and do a Save As, and you're done.

-Kirk