Author Topic: MESSAGE: "None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution."  (Read 6439 times)

Offline scottdevine

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm new to Photo Mechanic and I'm having a problem.  I have a folder of 14 images, 13 of which I have edited in Capture NX.  I am trying to use the "Save Photo As" file option and I receive a message saying "None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution."  Whether I select all the images or just the unedited NEF image, I still get this error.  Does anyone know why this may be happening? 

I'm on Mac OSX 10.4 and the NEF files are from a D300.

Thanks,
Scott   

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: MESSAGE: "None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution."
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 08:23:33 AM »
Scott,

I'm new to Photo Mechanic and I'm having a problem.  I have a folder of 14 images, 13 of which I have edited in Capture NX.  I am trying to use the "Save Photo As" file option and I receive a message saying "None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution."  Whether I select all the images or just the unedited NEF image, I still get this error.  Does anyone know why this may be happening? 

I'm on Mac OSX 10.4 and the NEF files are from a D300.

Mac OS X has not been updated to support the NEFs that the D300 produces.  Other cameras that have no support as of yet include the D3 and the 1Ds Mark III.

But since you have Capture NX, why don't you use it to produce your JPEGs?  Or an alternative from within Photo Mechanic is to use the Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos command on the Tools menu.  If your NEFs look the way you want them to already, then this is a quick way to produce JPEGs from your NEFs.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 10:58:20 AM »
Scott, for your information: Nikon Capture NX embeds a very high quality jpg in the NEF file (even better than the one embedded by the camera, and that one is already good).
The embedded jpg is probably good enough for at least 90% of the cases in which you want to use a jpg.  Kirk's suggestion to use the extract jpg function therefore works great!

Kirk, just a question: If I understood correctly, the save-as dialog of 4.6 was going to have the ability to use the embedded jpg for RAW files, isn't it?  (given that on Mac OS-X you bypass the raw renderer of the OS).
Did I understand you correctly, or is it going to work differently?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 11:01:07 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:37:28 AM »
Hayo,

Kirk, just a question: If I understood correctly, the save-as dialog of 4.6 was going to have the ability to use the embedded jpg for RAW files, isn't it?

The Save As dialog will allow embedded JPEG previews be used as the source for saving.  I haven't completed it yet but it is high on my to-do list.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 07:03:01 AM »
The Save As dialog will allow embedded JPEG previews be used as the source for saving.  I haven't completed it yet but it is high on my to-do list.

Kirk, that is excellent! Just wanted to double check because I could have misinterpreted ;).

Thanks,
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline scottdevine

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 07:42:36 AM »
Kirk and Hayo,

Thank you both for the responses.  I hope that you will be adding D300 NEF support soon.  I think you will have a lot of interested customers as Nikon is giving Capture NX away with the D300.  In the mean time, using the embedded jpeg seems to work great. 

My first impressions of PM are just great.  It's nice to know that this support forum is available.

Thanks again,
Scott

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 10:00:10 AM »
Scott,

Thank you both for the responses.  I hope that you will be adding D300 NEF support soon.  I think you will have a lot of interested customers as Nikon is giving Capture NX away with the D300.  In the mean time, using the embedded jpeg seems to work great. 

My first impressions of PM are just great.  It's nice to know that this support forum is available.

When Apple adds support for D300 NEF RAW rendering we'll be right on top of it.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 12:12:54 PM »
I hope that you will be adding D300 NEF support soon.  I think you will have a lot of interested customers as Nikon is giving Capture NX away with the D300.  In the mean time, using the embedded jpeg seems to work great.

Scott, one caution here: if you use the OS RAW rendering (as you are discussing here), it will re-render the RAW image, throwing away all the Nikon Capture NX adjustments (just like e.g., Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw/Photoshop).  This is probably not what you want.  The only way to get the results you created with NX, is to use the embedded JPG (which as I said is really good.  In fact its saved at >90% quality).

So, even if Apple adds D300 support, you would not want to enable it if you use Capture NX ;)

That was actually the reason I asked Kirk about the the save as function: I always want to use the embedded JPG.  In fact that is why I like PhotoMechanic so much.  When I was evaluating PM and Lightroom, this was the deciding factor for me (now I know there are many many other things I like better about PM, so I'm more glad I've chosen it)

Cheers,
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 12:14:44 PM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography