Photo Mechanic > General Discussion

search across multiple catalogs

(1/2) > >>

smh:
Is it possible to use the "find" command & keywords to search ALL catalogs, whether they are open or not? Maybe I'm not correctly using this function, or, perhaps understanding the concept of PM.
Thanks!
steve h.

Kirk Baker:
Steve,

--- Quote from: smh on January 29, 2008, 11:45:15 PM ---Is it possible to use the "find" command & keywords to search ALL catalogs, whether they are open or not? Maybe I'm not correctly using this function, or, perhaps understanding the concept of PM.
--- End quote ---

You can open multiple folders in a single Contact Sheet and then perform your search, but this is problematic if you're going to have more than many thousands of files.  Photo Mechanic is currently just a browser and is not a cataloging application.

However, that said, if you're on a Mac OS X 10.4.x (or higher) system we do offer an integrated Spotlight search that does work well.  You didn't mention your OS platform so I don't know exactly what to suggest.

-Kirk

smh:
Kirk,
Thanks for your quick reply. Sorry for not mentioning I run WinXP. My goal would be to do a keyword search that would result in those criteria-matching photos opening in a new contact sheet.
So, bummer this won't work for me. I do like the uncluttered interface and no-nonsense approach you take with PM. Golly, is there any other solution you can recommend? Better yet, how about adding this to PM. Surely I can't be the only one who would appreciate this functionality?
BTW, this is one of the most responsive forums I've visited.
Thanks!
Steve H

Kirk Baker:
Steve,

--- Quote from: smh on January 30, 2008, 07:23:13 AM ---Thanks for your quick reply. Sorry for not mentioning I run WinXP. My goal would be to do a keyword search that would result in those criteria-matching photos opening in a new contact sheet.
So, bummer this won't work for me. I do like the uncluttered interface and no-nonsense approach you take with PM. Golly, is there any other solution you can recommend? Better yet, how about adding this to PM. Surely I can't be the only one who would appreciate this functionality?
--- End quote ---

We're working on a cataloging solution right now.

-Kirk

smh:
Kirk, can you give an estimate before this feature is working? My evualation ends in two weeks. I'd just as soon stop window shopping & continue to evualuate PM, if you think your fingers can code that fast?
Steve h 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version