Author Topic: search across multiple catalogs  (Read 6108 times)

Offline smh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
search across multiple catalogs
« on: January 29, 2008, 11:45:15 PM »
Is it possible to use the "find" command & keywords to search ALL catalogs, whether they are open or not? Maybe I'm not correctly using this function, or, perhaps understanding the concept of PM.
Thanks!
steve h.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: search across multiple catalogs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:25:26 AM »
Steve,

Is it possible to use the "find" command & keywords to search ALL catalogs, whether they are open or not? Maybe I'm not correctly using this function, or, perhaps understanding the concept of PM.

You can open multiple folders in a single Contact Sheet and then perform your search, but this is problematic if you're going to have more than many thousands of files.  Photo Mechanic is currently just a browser and is not a cataloging application.

However, that said, if you're on a Mac OS X 10.4.x (or higher) system we do offer an integrated Spotlight search that does work well.  You didn't mention your OS platform so I don't know exactly what to suggest.

-Kirk

Offline smh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:23:13 AM »
Kirk,
Thanks for your quick reply. Sorry for not mentioning I run WinXP. My goal would be to do a keyword search that would result in those criteria-matching photos opening in a new contact sheet.
So, bummer this won't work for me. I do like the uncluttered interface and no-nonsense approach you take with PM. Golly, is there any other solution you can recommend? Better yet, how about adding this to PM. Surely I can't be the only one who would appreciate this functionality?
BTW, this is one of the most responsive forums I've visited.
Thanks!
Steve H

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 08:44:01 AM »
Steve,

Thanks for your quick reply. Sorry for not mentioning I run WinXP. My goal would be to do a keyword search that would result in those criteria-matching photos opening in a new contact sheet.
So, bummer this won't work for me. I do like the uncluttered interface and no-nonsense approach you take with PM. Golly, is there any other solution you can recommend? Better yet, how about adding this to PM. Surely I can't be the only one who would appreciate this functionality?

We're working on a cataloging solution right now.

-Kirk

Offline smh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 10:14:42 AM »
Kirk, can you give an estimate before this feature is working? My evualation ends in two weeks. I'd just as soon stop window shopping & continue to evualuate PM, if you think your fingers can code that fast?
Steve h 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »
Steve,

Kirk, can you give an estimate before this feature is working? My evualation ends in two weeks. I'd just as soon stop window shopping & continue to evualuate PM, if you think your fingers can code that fast?

It definitely won't be out in two weeks!

I don't have an estimated release date at this time.

-Kirk

Offline smh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 12:52:47 AM »
ah. Well thanks, and, good luck.
Regards,
steve h