Photo Mechanic > General Discussion

PM and Aperture

(1/3) > >>

vAfotoriporter:
I didn't manage to find such a topic sorry if it exists allready (what I think will be the case).

My question is how well does PM and Aperture work together in a workflow? Does Aperture see PM ratings? How well it sees and can use PM keyworded, captioned images, does it see (most importantly leave untouched) other fields filled in PM? I see some RAW utilities simply miss to copy all of IPTC data to their output JPGs which were entered into the RAW image (or the XMP sidecar file or both).

And if selected Aperture have referenced images so not moving them into its own structure but leaving them where they are on the disks can PM see IPTC changes immediately after entered in Aperture or it keeps them in some app specific form (not the sidecar files PM can read) and they are only entered into the images when exported from Aperture?

I don't yet use Mac so cannot test these things but am working on a switchover from windows to mac and I don't see clearly in these issues. Thanks for any reply!

edt:
Excellent question, somebody answer! If no answer soon, I'll do some experimenting and find out...and report back.
Ed

mbrown:
I've had it work, then not work, I don't know what I am doing wrong (and right) and I'm too busy to try and work it out at the moment so I have gone back to my old workflow with just PM.  But I really am getting desperate for a cataloging software so I'm going to have to sort it out soon.

I downloaded the trial of aperture v2 and it seems to be playing well with PM, but I don't know if that was an accident.  However I really don't want to fork out more for the upgrade if PM is going to have a catalog soon??  Please please make it a catalog.......

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: mbrown on March 08, 2008, 03:06:39 PM ---I've had it work, then not work, I don't know what I am doing wrong (and right) and I'm too busy to try and work it out at the moment so I have gone back to my old workflow with just PM.  But I really am getting desperate for a cataloging software so I'm going to have to sort it out soon.

I downloaded the trial of aperture v2 and it seems to be playing well with PM, but I don't know if that was an accident.  However I really don't want to fork out more for the upgrade if PM is going to have a catalog soon??  Please please make it a catalog.......

--- End quote ---

We're working on it!

-Kirk

vAfotoriporter:
I would like to use Aperture as a RAW editor especially if PM gets the cataloging features. but does anyone have a workflow idea to rely on using PM and Aperture?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version