Author Topic: PM and Aperture  (Read 13467 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
PM and Aperture
« on: February 20, 2008, 09:55:37 PM »
I didn't manage to find such a topic sorry if it exists allready (what I think will be the case).

My question is how well does PM and Aperture work together in a workflow? Does Aperture see PM ratings? How well it sees and can use PM keyworded, captioned images, does it see (most importantly leave untouched) other fields filled in PM? I see some RAW utilities simply miss to copy all of IPTC data to their output JPGs which were entered into the RAW image (or the XMP sidecar file or both).

And if selected Aperture have referenced images so not moving them into its own structure but leaving them where they are on the disks can PM see IPTC changes immediately after entered in Aperture or it keeps them in some app specific form (not the sidecar files PM can read) and they are only entered into the images when exported from Aperture?

I don't yet use Mac so cannot test these things but am working on a switchover from windows to mac and I don't see clearly in these issues. Thanks for any reply!
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline edt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM and Aperture
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:02:38 AM »
Excellent question, somebody answer! If no answer soon, I'll do some experimenting and find out...and report back.
Ed

Offline mbrown

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 03:06:39 PM »
I've had it work, then not work, I don't know what I am doing wrong (and right) and I'm too busy to try and work it out at the moment so I have gone back to my old workflow with just PM.  But I really am getting desperate for a cataloging software so I'm going to have to sort it out soon.

I downloaded the trial of aperture v2 and it seems to be playing well with PM, but I don't know if that was an accident.  However I really don't want to fork out more for the upgrade if PM is going to have a catalog soon??  Please please make it a catalog.......

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 03:08:46 PM »
I've had it work, then not work, I don't know what I am doing wrong (and right) and I'm too busy to try and work it out at the moment so I have gone back to my old workflow with just PM.  But I really am getting desperate for a cataloging software so I'm going to have to sort it out soon.

I downloaded the trial of aperture v2 and it seems to be playing well with PM, but I don't know if that was an accident.  However I really don't want to fork out more for the upgrade if PM is going to have a catalog soon??  Please please make it a catalog.......

We're working on it!

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 08:07:02 AM »
I would like to use Aperture as a RAW editor especially if PM gets the cataloging features. but does anyone have a workflow idea to rely on using PM and Aperture?
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline mbrown

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 03:03:33 PM »
Kirk,

I am getting the IPTC info to come across from PM to Aperture, but it's not seeing the Ratings or color info.  Any thoughts on this?

Using latest update to PM, Aperture 2.1 Mac OSX 10.5.2

Cheers
Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 05:29:13 PM »
Mike,

I am getting the IPTC info to come across from PM to Aperture, but it's not seeing the Ratings or color info.  Any thoughts on this?

Using latest update to PM, Aperture 2.1 Mac OSX 10.5.2

As soon as Aperture supports XMP more fully, I expect that 5-star ratings will start to work...

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 06:42:35 AM »
As far as I know, Aperture still doesn't import XMP sidecar files? On a related note, what does it import then? Legacy IPTC fields, IPTC/XMP fields or both? I don't have aperture, but I am curious about it, if in future I would buy it. Anybody with PM and Aperture figured it out?

Frantisek

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • Morten Vassing│Photojournalist
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 08:24:45 AM »
Frantisek, Kirk,

It genuinely boggles the mind that a pro photo app like Aperture is not fully supporting XMP. Well, as long as the good folks at Camera Bits are hard at work at making every pro shooter's favorite RAW browser the cataloging software of the future I guess I can skip Aperture in the workflow. Wonder what Rob Galbraith would have to say about that (I'll ask him at his upcoming workflow seminar in Denmark in May which I'll be attending).

Best,

Morten
Morten Vassing│Photojournalist - COPENHAGEN│Denmark - Nikon D3│MacBook Pro │ Mac OS X (10.8)│PM5

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 05:20:37 PM »
It genuinely boggles the mind that a pro photo app like Aperture is not fully supporting XMP. Well, as long as the good folks at Camera Bits are hard at work at making every pro shooter's favorite RAW browser the cataloging software of the future I guess I can skip Aperture in the workflow. Wonder what Rob Galbraith would have to say about that (I'll ask him at his upcoming workflow seminar in Denmark in May which I'll be attending).

Well it seems me Aperture doesn't have the XMP fields I usually fill in my images. But I actually didn't yet tried to use it as cataloging software. I just test it as a RAW editor. Some inconviniences aside I like it as that. But all the importing and cataloging stuff makes it a way too complex thing to be a RAW processor (I am used to Phase One). But I like the interface it uses.
I think I'll have to check out LightRoom and the new Phase One software...
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline mbrown

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 05:13:40 AM »
I have forked out hundreds on Aperture and it's upgrades in a hope to get the cataloging and workflow software solution that I need.  Unfortunately all of these little niggles and the fact that PM does not have cataloging yet are forcing me to go fully Aperture, even though I love PM's speed of editing.

At the moment I am using PM to quickly go through and delete the rejects then I import the rest into Aperture and do the rest.

Mainly the things I need are:

Very quick colour & light correction and cropping (without having to go out to CS3).

Catalogue that supports all IPTC info

And uploading facilities to both FTP, Photoshelter and Gallery2.

Whoever comes up with the solution that does all this and has the speed of PM will gladly get any of my future spending on software.