Author Topic: keeping the color class/rating status after an edit  (Read 4564 times)

Offline dcdukit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Del Sol Photography
keeping the color class/rating status after an edit
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:18:25 AM »
I would like to find out if it is possible to maintain the color class or rating on an images after I have made an edit (when [e] is pressed ... PM pulls the image into photoshop).  Right now, I will make all my color/rating selections in PM ... once that is done I will start to pick photos I would like to edit press [e] ... the photo is brought into PS ... I make the edit, save the changes and once I return to PM the color/rating selection I originally made is gone (reset back to default ... no color and no rating).

Is there a way to maintain the color/rating selection originally made?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: keeping the color class/rating status after an edit
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »
I would like to find out if it is possible to maintain the color class or rating on an images after I have made an edit (when [e] is pressed ... PM pulls the image into photoshop).  Right now, I will make all my color/rating selections in PM ... once that is done I will start to pick photos I would like to edit press [e] ... the photo is brought into PS ... I make the edit, save the changes and once I return to PM the color/rating selection I originally made is gone (reset back to default ... no color and no rating).

Is there a way to maintain the color/rating selection originally made?

Yes.  You need to tell PM to save your edits into your IPTC/XMP data.  Look at the attached screenshot below.  The item titled "Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP:" needs to be set to "For all photos".  You will have to make some change to your current images to get the edits into the images.  You can do this by changing a tag, rating, color class, or by editing one of the IPTC fields for the image.

HTH,

-Kirk

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:46:10 AM »
I think the option you are looking for (in PM 4.5) is under: Preferences - Files - "Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP"

If I understand things correctly this will carry over your ratings and colors.

EDIT: Dang it, Kirk beat me to it by a minute!
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline dcdukit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Del Sol Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:33:05 PM »
thanks so much to the both of you on the quick response!  The answer to the question worked like a charm, but at the end of the day didn't give me a great solution to my overall problem (I was actually hoping you could leave the color set to default back and the rating would stay) and here is why ...

Basically, I am trying to figure out a way (in my own workflow or sorts) to combine 2 cameras worth of images in one folder and know which images, after the edit, came from the respective cameras.  I guess I should of asked this question first, Is there a way to maintain the serial # information after the edit (like describe above)?  As of right now, with my preferences the way they are set, every time I bring the photo in for editing the serial # information disappears after I save in PS and return to look in PM.  The solution to the question above would be that I, after the edit, could do a "sort by {type}" ... select the photos from the respective cameras and move/copy them into separate folders (basically, I am having one editor working on 2 photographers from the same shoot and want to select only the good ones from both cameras combined, edit those, but return the good edits back to the respective photographers "good images" folder for possible samples later).

My other thought was to have one camera 1 stared and the other camera 5 stared, for example.  The only problem with the answer I got earlier is that my original setting that allowed PM to reset the IPTC/XMP data back to default allowed myself and others which photos have been edited (color: none, rating:none) and which have not been touched (color/rating: something, pink or whatever).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »
One thing I do that would work for knowing which images came from which camera, is to insert {filename} into the Transmission Reference field of every photo as I Ingest. This way I can look back and see the original filename after I have renamed my photos (it has come in handy several times).  This works for telling cameras apart also because mine (Canon 1D Mark IINs) are all setup to have filenames that start differently: _KC1xxxx.jpg, _KC2xxxx.jpg and _KC3xxxx.jpg

Obviously though if you are working with cameras that don't have unique filenames then this suggestion won't be very helpful.

Offline dcdukit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Del Sol Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:51:56 PM »
That is a good suggestion ... is there a way to sort by that field?  Plus, that is a very good business process decision.  I know people who haven't been saved by that and will definitely pass that on.

At the end of the day I am looking for anything I can attach to photos to carry through and distinguish between the "indicators" after the edit.

Thanks again for the info ... would still love to know if any knows how to keep the serial ({type})# to carry through after an edit.

Thanks!

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 12:59:58 PM »
You can create a Custom sort mode in PM and sort by anything you want. In this case I could sort by: {transref}

Alternatively you could choose an unused IPTC/XMP field and embed the {serialnum} into it for your purposes. Since it is in the IPTC/XMP it should carry over through any edits in Photoshop.

Offline dcdukit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Del Sol Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 01:03:26 PM »
ok ... that will work!

Not very familiar with the IPTC/XMP fields ... Can you embed data after the ingest process?  If so, how do I pull that off.

Thanks for your help!  Feeling like there is a solution here  :)

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 01:08:01 PM »
You can add it to multiple photos at once using the IPTC Stationary Pad, check the manual for details:
http://camerabits.fileburst.com/Photo_Mechanic_4.5.3_Manual.pdf

Ideally though you would use the IPTC Stationary Pad option on the Ingest Dialog (select the Local option) and once you have it setup you'd never have to think about it again. It will insert it the same way on every Ingest.

Offline dcdukit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Del Sol Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 01:11:33 PM »
I found it!  Thanks for all the help!