Author Topic: Error: Photo Mechanic Scripting Engine failed to initialize.  (Read 4468 times)

Offline gmstone

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Error: Photo Mechanic Scripting Engine failed to initialize.
« on: April 15, 2008, 07:42:54 AM »
I am receiving the following error message when trying to start PM:

Error: Photo Mechanic Scripting Engine failed to initialize. (Reason: test 1:timeout awaiting result.)
If problem persists, try reinstalling Photo Mechanic.
Application will now exit.

The problem is persistent and I realize that I will have to reinstall the software, my question is, is there any way to recover all the FTP site settings and preference I currently have setup?

Fyi, I am running version 4.4.3.3 on an XP platform.

I appreciate your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Error: Photo Mechanic Scripting Engine failed to initialize.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 09:14:05 AM »
I am receiving the following error message when trying to start PM:

Error: Photo Mechanic Scripting Engine failed to initialize. (Reason: test 1:timeout awaiting result.)
If problem persists, try reinstalling Photo Mechanic.
Application will now exit.

The problem is persistent and I realize that I will have to reinstall the software, my question is, is there any way to recover all the FTP site settings and preference I currently have setup?

Fyi, I am running version 4.4.3.3 on an XP platform.

I appreciate your help.

It sounds like your anti-virus software (AVG freeware?) removed our scripting engine.  There is no virus in Photo Mechanic 4.4.3.3.

Reinstalling PM will not lose your settings.  Just do the reinstall, and keep your anti-virus software from removing files from the Photo Mechanic folder and you should be fine.

-Kirk

Offline gmstone

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 09:20:15 AM »
Great!...that worked fine and all preferences/setup info seems to be in tact.

Yes, i do use AVG freeware.  Any idea what caused this to happen though?  I have been running the avg software for a considerable time and the only other recent changes to my system has been to defragment the hard drive.

Thanks again for your help.

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 02:36:44 PM »
Kirk,

I ran across this problem just the other day as well. I was also using PM (v4.5.3) on a laptop running XP and AVG at the time. I am unaware of any files that AVG may have removed, and its logs do not seem to indicate that any have been removed. Is there a specific file that I should check for?

I did retry starting PM, and on the third attempt it did load, so I did not reinstall. I have not had the problem again, although I've only used the laptop a few times since then. If this is a potential problem I might run into in the future, I will probably need to always keep a copy of the latest PM setup program on the laptop, as when I encountered this problem I was at an event and without Internet access.

-Ian
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:39:36 PM by IanGoldstein »