Author Topic: Copyright status: pm not applying status  (Read 3806 times)

Offline dom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Copyright status: pm not applying status
« on: May 19, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »
PM 4.4.3.3
Mac OSX 10.4.11

On ingest apply IPTC stationery pad to raw photos with copyright checked.When saved jpgs are opened in photoshop CS2 copyright status always comes up as unknown in file info.Open same jpgs in bridge copyright status comes up as copyrighted.I have tried diff pref in IPTC/XMP preferences.Is there any way of adding copyright status :copyrighted?

Thanks Dominic
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:17:11 PM by dom »

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Copyright status: pm not applying status
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 05:03:22 PM »
Dominic,

I don't know for sure why Photoshop and Bridge give different results, but it may be because Bridge is always reading XMP, whereas Photoshop will sometimes prefer to read the older IPTC and "image resources" from its own JPEG block and "ignore" the XMP.  If this is the case it means that the copyright status resource stored in the image resources isn't properly set.  Or the opposite may be true (XMP is being read but doesn't have this flag).  Unfortunately it is a bit difficult to tell without examining an actual file etc.

When PM ingests, it should add the actual copyright text to the IPTC and/or XMP of the RAW file (e.g. "(c) 2008 My Name").  But how are you doing your JPEG creation from the RAW files?  If it is in PM then the JPEGs should have the copyright flag set.  But if the JPEGs were created by some other piece of software then I can't tell you what is in the files.  For example, if you caption your RAW files with an XMP sidecar only, then process your photos through a RAW converter that doesn't understand XMP, then the resulting JPEG won't have any copyright info at all.

--dennis

Offline dom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 06:30:30 AM »
Dennis,
Thank you for help so far.I am doing my JPEGS creation from raw files in camera raw photoshop CS2.What would be the best PM  IPTC/XMP preferences for this work flow?

1. PM ingest raw photos apply IPTC stationery pad to photos.   
2. Create JPEGS from raw photos in Photoshop CS2.

Thanks Dominic

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 01:18:21 PM »
I am doing my JPEGS creation from raw files in camera raw photoshop CS2.What would be the best PM  IPTC/XMP preferences for this work flow?

If you are using ACR then you probably will want to NOT embed XMP into your RAW files because what happens is that ACR will read this embedded XMP over any XMP sidecar, but any adjustments it makes are only stored in the XMP sidecar.  So what happens is that if you go back and view the file later on then those adjustments won't show because ACR is reading the embedded XMP.  You may just want to stick with an XMP-only workflow (i.e. don't embed IPTC either) and just have PM create XMP sidecar files.

--dennis