Author Topic: Mac 4.5.1.1 and Canon 40D  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Rick Baumhauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Mac 4.5.1.1 and Canon 40D
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:20:09 PM »
I just purchased a 40D, and since 4.5.1.1 was the last version included in my original license, I figured I'd have to make a decision about whether to purchase another year of PM or not.  I only use PM to ingest (to two locations, create folders, and rename incoming files), and set basic IPTC info.  After ingest, I import into Aperture (as referenced images), and do everything else from there.

So, I took my first images on Sunday, and I figured I'd try an ingest to see what happened.  To my surprise, it worked fine, all the files display just fine in PM, and the IPTC info seems to be working fine as well.  In addition, the extra folder that was always created when I imported shots from cards shot with my 20D doesn't get created with the 40D.

So, am I missing something?  What would I gain by renewing my license at this point?  I do think PM is a great product, but my needs are fairly basic, so I'm a bit hesitant to spend another $90 at this point.  Is there any risk in using 4.5.1.1 with 40D files?

I'm on a 2GHz quad processor Mac Pro running 10.5.2, 5GB of RAM.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Mac 4.5.1.1 and Canon 40D
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 07:33:41 PM »
Rick,

I just purchased a 40D, and since 4.5.1.1 was the last version included in my original license, I figured I'd have to make a decision about whether to purchase another year of PM or not.  I only use PM to ingest (to two locations, create folders, and rename incoming files), and set basic IPTC info.  After ingest, I import into Aperture (as referenced images), and do everything else from there.

So, I took my first images on Sunday, and I figured I'd try an ingest to see what happened.  To my surprise, it worked fine, all the files display just fine in PM, and the IPTC info seems to be working fine as well.  In addition, the extra folder that was always created when I imported shots from cards shot with my 20D doesn't get created with the 40D.

So, am I missing something?  What would I gain by renewing my license at this point?  I do think PM is a great product, but my needs are fairly basic, so I'm a bit hesitant to spend another $90 at this point.  Is there any risk in using 4.5.1.1 with 40D files?

I'm on a 2GHz quad processor Mac Pro running 10.5.2, 5GB of RAM.

You can use any version of the 4.5 series including the upcoming 4.5.3.2 version with your current license.  No upgrade is necessary since you're already running version 4.5.1.1.  In the meantime please get 4.5.3.1 since it addresses a number of incompatibilities with Leopard.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Rick Baumhauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:49:45 PM »
Kirk - thanks for clearing that up for me, and for the continuing great support.  Somehow I got the idea that downloading a new update after my original license had expired would cause issues (some other software works this way, unfortunately), so it's good to know that I can update to the latest version (and have, with no issues).

So, how was PM dealing with the 40D files I downloaded with 4.5.1.1?  Since the 40D was released after that version, I thought it would have some issues, but I didn't notice any difference from how PM handled 20D files.

Thanks again!

Rick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:40:18 PM »
Rick,

Kirk - thanks for clearing that up for me, and for the continuing great support.  Somehow I got the idea that downloading a new update after my original license had expired would cause issues (some other software works this way, unfortunately), so it's good to know that I can update to the latest version (and have, with no issues).

So, how was PM dealing with the 40D files I downloaded with 4.5.1.1?  Since the 40D was released after that version, I thought it would have some issues, but I didn't notice any difference from how PM handled 20D files.

Not much about the file formats changed between the 20D and the 40D.  I would imagine that version 4.4.x would have worked fine too.

-Kirk