Author Topic: Embedding XMP/IPTC for NEF and not for CR2  (Read 2366 times)

Offline crunge

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Embedding XMP/IPTC for NEF and not for CR2
« on: July 15, 2008, 05:33:17 PM »
I generally shoot Nikon DSLRs with NEFs; however, I also have a Canon Powershot G9 (shooting in CR2 mode) which I use where a smaller size is warranted.

I'd like to understand if it is at all possible to vary how I work with each file type without needing to change the IPTC/XMP preferences each time. Ideally I could embed IPTC/XMP in the NEF files as suggest for use with Capture NX and not do this for the CR2 files (writing to XMP sidecars instead) as recommended for use with Bridge/Lightroom. Any thoughts on a possible solution?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Embedding XMP/IPTC for NEF and not for CR2
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 05:49:28 PM »
I generally shoot Nikon DSLRs with NEFs; however, I also have a Canon Powershot G9 (shooting in CR2 mode) which I use where a smaller size is warranted.

I'd like to understand if it is at all possible to vary how I work with each file type without needing to change the IPTC/XMP preferences each time. Ideally I could embed IPTC/XMP in the NEF files as suggest for use with Capture NX and not do this for the CR2 files (writing to XMP sidecars instead) as recommended for use with Bridge/Lightroom. Any thoughts on a possible solution?

There is no solution other than to change the settings.  There are no individual settings per file type.

Sorry.

-Kirk