Photo Mechanic > Support

Closed: Character input speed drop in IPTC info window

(1/3) > >>

Hayo Baan:
I started to notice a strange phenomena with the IPTC info window.  Inputting text/moving your cursor around in the text fields is really really slow when opened from the contact sheet.  When opened from the preview window, speed is back to normal, so it's not the window itself that is slow, but probably some interaction with the underlying contact sheet is making it slow.

Note: I've never noticed this before when I was still running Windows (thankfully we've moved to the Mac about a month ago), so it could be a Mac-thing only.

Hope you can shed some light on this one/fix it.

Running Mac OSX 10.5.4, PM 4.5.3.2b0721 (it happened on 4.5.3.1, too though).

Kirk Baker:
Hayo,

--- Quote from: Hayo Baan on July 25, 2008, 07:32:24 AM ---I started to notice a strange phenomena with the IPTC info window.  Inputting text/moving your cursor around in the text fields is really really slow when opened from the contact sheet.  When opened from the preview window, speed is back to normal, so it's not the window itself that is slow, but probably some interaction with the underlying contact sheet is making it slow.

Note: I've never noticed this before when I was still running Windows (thankfully we've moved to the Mac about a month ago), so it could be a Mac-thing only.

Hope you can shed some light on this one/fix it.

Running Mac OSX 10.5.4, PM 4.5.3.2b0721 (it happened on 4.5.3.1, too though).

--- End quote ---

I'd really need much more information from you.  How many files in the contact sheet?  RAW?  JPEG?  Do you have PM render RAW files?

-Kirk

Hayo Baan:
Hi Kirk,

I've tried with any number of images (between 10 and 200), this has no influence on the phenomena.  I usually (only) have RAW (NEF) files in the contact sheet, but I also tested a folder with only (smallish) JPG images, and the effect is exactly the same: very slow character input (most noticeable when holding the key to repeat, but it also affects individual key presses; these too are much slower).  Oh, and I do not have PM render my images.

Hope this is enough for you to reproduce it.

Thanks,
    Hayo

Kirk Baker:
Hayo,

--- Quote from: Hayo Baan on July 25, 2008, 11:19:44 AM ---I've tried with any number of images (between 10 and 200), this has no influence on the phenomena.  I usually (only) have RAW (NEF) files in the contact sheet, but I also tested a folder with only (smallish) JPG images, and the effect is exactly the same: very slow character input (most noticeable when holding the key to repeat, but it also affects individual key presses; these too are much slower).  Oh, and I do not have PM render my images.
--- End quote ---

Do you use Code Replacement?  Do any of the fields you're experiencing the slowness in have code replacement lookups in them?  Something like \{lens}\ in them?

The contact sheet would continue to load in the background even when you're in the Preview window, so I can't imagine how there would be any speed difference in using the IPTC Info dialog from the Contact Sheet vs. the Preview window.

What about the IPTC Stationery Pad?  Is it slow too?

-Kirk

Hayo Baan:
Kirk,

No, I don't currently use any code replacements.  The contact sheet is already fully loaded, so that can't be it.
I just tried with the IPTC stationary pad: same behaviour (slow with contact sheet, quick with preview).

There must be some interaction between the dialogues and the contact sheet that makes this slow.

On windows I remember that if I placed the cursor at the wrong place, the info tooltip would flicker (I do think this caused slowing down as well, but can't remember 100%).  To rule this out, not only did I try to place the cursor outside of the (underlying) contact sheet, I also tried to disable the info tooltip altogether.  None of this had any influence...

Can you not reproduce this yourself?

(I do use spaces with 2x2 spaces, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.  I have tried killing all other windows, but that too does not influence the behaviour)

Funny things: I tried to see if the processor got used so had the Activity monitor running.  I could see no usage spikes, so that's not it.  However, when switching a few times between PM with the IPTC window and the activity monitor, sometimes the cursor would move quickly again, and other times not.  Even stranger while writing this I have been switching back and forth a lot and sometimes the response is as it should be, and sometimes not. Go figure...

Oh, one more thing, could it be that the keyboard settings (repeat rate and delay) somehow get jammed?  The slowness really looks like a "slow" setting in the keyboard preferences.  Probably not though as there would be nothing to do so.

Thanks,
    Hayo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version