Photo Mechanic > Support

IPTC keyword field not being entirely copied

(1/1)

Kevin:
Hi,

With a batch of newly uploaded agency submissions only some of the keywords have been copied into the agency Keywords field. Checking back on my files, I notice that not all the keywords were copied during an interpolating process with CS2, but there are still more keywords in my interpolated files than in the uploaded agency keyword fields. A chunk of keywords are generally missing from the middle and end of a set. Often always cutting off at the exact same letter in the same word. Strange..!

I keyworded TIFF 16 bit with an average of only 10 - 20 keywords so too many keywords in the field is not an issue. The TiFFs were then interpolated and saved as JPEGS.

Are there any known issues with Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.1 using CS2 on an iMac running OS X 10.5.4. There's obviously a problem with my system or process rather than directly with the agency or PM even though the agency process still didn't copy all the keywords. Do you have any experience with the issues mentioned?

I've included a screen shot of the PM Preferences window

thanks

Kevin

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kirk Baker:
Kevin,

--- Quote from: Kevin on July 28, 2008, 03:25:19 AM ---With a batch of newly uploaded agency submissions only some of the keywords have been copied into the agency Keywords field. Checking back on my files, I notice that not all the keywords were copied during an interpolating process with CS2, but there are still more keywords in my interpolated files than in the uploaded agency keyword fields. A chunk of keywords are generally missing from the middle and end of a set. Often always cutting off at the exact same letter in the same word. Strange..!

I keyworded TIFF 16 bit with an average of only 10 - 20 keywords so too many keywords in the field is not an issue. The TiFFs were then interpolated and saved as JPEGS.

Are there any known issues with Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.1 using CS2 on an iMac running OS X 10.5.4. There's obviously a problem with my system or process rather than directly with the agency or PM even though the agency process still didn't copy all the keywords. Do you have any experience with the issues mentioned?
--- End quote ---

No.  But what do you mean by 'interpolated'?  What is doing the uploading?  If it is PM, are you perhaps applying an IPTC Stationery Pad during the upload?

-Kirk

Kevin:
Sorry Kirk, I didn't explain myself well the first time around. A 16 bitt Tiff is converted to 8 bit then interpolated (upsized) in Photoshop CS2 to approximately 48MB then saved as jpeg. The keywording was done on the 16 bit Tiff before the interpolation. I think the older version of CS2 is not reading all the IPTC data very well and also therefore causing problems with the agency reading the jpegs IPTC. The upload to the agency has nothing to do with PM.

I don't think that PM is causing the problem as I've looked into it a bit more, I just wanted to narrow down where the problem could be. I think I will simple need to upgrading to the newer CS3.

Kevin

Kirk Baker:
Kevin,

--- Quote from: Kevin on July 28, 2008, 11:54:34 AM ---Sorry Kirk, I didn't explain myself well the first time around. A 16 bitt Tiff is converted to 8 bit then interpolated (upsized) in Photoshop CS2 to approximately 48MB then saved as jpeg. The keywording was done on the 16 bit Tiff before the interpolation. I think the older version of CS2 is not reading all the IPTC data very well and also therefore causing problems with the agency reading the jpegs IPTC. The upload to the agency has nothing to do with PM.

I don't think that PM is causing the problem as I've looked into it a bit more, I just wanted to narrow down where the problem could be. I think I will simple need to upgrading to the newer CS3.
--- End quote ---

I would also try embedding IPTC4XMP into your TIFF files as well.  Can your agency handle XMP metadata?

-Kirk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version