Author Topic: Downloading multiple jobs  (Read 2917 times)

Offline pelaez

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Downloading multiple jobs
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
We often shoot multiple jobs at the same time and download cards throughout the day. Since each job is downloaded to a different location and numbered using a different sequence, we must continually re-enter the specific information into the ingest dialogue box throughout the day.

Is there a way to have separate presets or separate ingest windows for each job?

Equip: latest Macs with plenty of Ram, Canon Mk IIs and Mk IIIs.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Downloading multiple jobs
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 11:58:31 AM »
We often shoot multiple jobs at the same time and download cards throughout the day. Since each job is downloaded to a different location and numbered using a different sequence, we must continually re-enter the specific information into the ingest dialogue box throughout the day.

Is there a way to have separate presets or separate ingest windows for each job?

Equip: latest Macs with plenty of Ram, Canon Mk IIs and Mk IIIs.

Can you give me examples of how your settings change from job to job?  There may be a way to automate it completely if I can see how your settings change from job to job.

-Kirk

Offline pelaez

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 12:21:11 PM »
First, the download location changes, so I have to navigate to a different folder in Primary Destination.

Second, the number sequence changes, typically in three locations. As an example, the last image from job 1 could be JPre2008_000160555, and the next number in job 2 could be JPst2008_000162888. The operative changes in these sequences are re which changes to st, the 0 following the 6 which changes to 2, and 555 which changes to 888.

Of course, later the sequence has to be changed back to JPre2008_000160556, and so forth.

Another change that happens only on some jobs is that Copy RAW and non-RAW needs to be changed to Copy non-RAW only.

If we only had to do one job at a time, we wouldn't have to give it a moment's thought. However, with 4 or 5 changes to be made each time a card from a different job comes in, occasionally an error is made.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 12:43:35 PM »
First, the download location changes, so I have to navigate to a different folder in Primary Destination.

Second, the number sequence changes, typically in three locations. As an example, the last image from job 1 could be JPre2008_000160555, and the next number in job 2 could be JPst2008_000162888. The operative changes in these sequences are re which changes to st, the 0 following the 6 which changes to 2, and 555 which changes to 888.

Of course, later the sequence has to be changed back to JPre2008_000160556, and so forth.

Another change that happens only on some jobs is that Copy RAW and non-RAW needs to be changed to Copy non-RAW only.

If we only had to do one job at a time, we wouldn't have to give it a moment's thought. However, with 4 or 5 changes to be made each time a card from a different job comes in, occasionally an error is made.

Depending on how your Primary destination changes (just a new sub-folder on the same disk?) you may be able to use the Folder Name field along with some Photo Mechanic {variables} to create your new sub-folder.  You didn't specify how your Primary Destination changes so I can't be more specific.

As for the sequence number there is only one, so you'll have to manage that yourself.

You can use the Snapshot button (the small button in the lower left corner with the lightning bolt on it) to save and restore all of the settings in the Ingest dialog.  Restoring just takes two clicks.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline pelaez

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 02:08:12 PM »
Thank you Kirk. You've given me some good ideas to try out.