Photo Mechanic > Support

Ingest

(1/2) > >>

Roger Caris:
On ingesting multiple cards, files can be sorted by capture time in PM. Is it possible that during ingestation files can be simultaneously
sorted by capture time in explorer.

Using
PM 4.5.3.1
Win XP x64
8GB RAM

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: Roger Caris on August 12, 2008, 05:55:12 AM ---On ingesting multiple cards, files can be sorted by capture time in PM. Is it possible that during ingestation files can be simultaneously
sorted by capture time in explorer.
--- End quote ---

Do you mean that you want us to set the creation date of your files to the capture date so that Windows Explorer will list them in that order?

-Kirk

Roger Caris:
Can I clarify what I want.

I am downloading four cards from four cameras taken at a wedding simultaneously into a folder in explorer. I am using a hub with four card readers attached. All the camera times have been previously synchronised. I want all the files in the Explorer folder to be numbered in order that the pictures were taken.

I have said it like that because I am not certain of the distinction between capture time and creation time.

In effect I want PM to sort the files as they are downloaded.

Can this be done?

Roger

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: Roger Caris on August 12, 2008, 10:07:04 AM ---Can I clarify what I want.

I am downloading four cards from four cameras taken at a wedding simultaneously into a folder in explorer. I am using a hub with four card readers attached. All the camera times have been previously synchronised. I want all the files in the Explorer folder to be numbered in order that the pictures were taken.

I have said it like that because I am not certain of the distinction between capture time and creation time.

In effect I want PM to sort the files as they are downloaded.
--- End quote ---

I suggest doing the rename of the files after the Ingest completes.  Open all of the images into a single contact sheet (if they're in the same folder then you're all set.  If they're not, then you'll need to open each folder into the same contact sheet.)

Then change the Sort popup menu in the toolbar to "Capture Time".  Then select all of the images.  Then use the Rename command to rename them with the sequence number.  Then when you sort your images in Windows Explorer by filename, they'll be in the same order.   Be sure to start your sequence number with enough leading zeroes.  For instance if you have 1000 (or more) photos, set your sequence number to 0001.  This will make the names more sortable.

HTH,

-Kirk

SamFrost:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on August 12, 2008, 12:32:48 PM ---  Be sure to start your sequence number with enough leading zeroes.  For instance if you have 1000 (or more) photos, set your sequence number to 0001. 
--- End quote ---

Any chance this could be automated if reset?  So that PM will realise that you are renaming 1000 files and start the count at 0001 if you hit the reset button?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version