Author Topic: Photo CDs created from capture time  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Denis C.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo CDs created from capture time
« on: August 18, 2008, 12:43:36 PM »
I've searched this question and can't locate an answer in your forum. I shoot events with a D3 and 2 D2Xs. I've carefully adjusted the camera clocks and when I view the images in PM 4.5.3.1 and chose 'capture time' they are resorted and everything is displayed in the correct chronological order. Pop in a fresh CD and us the 'burn disc' function and the end result is a CD that is based on 'file names'. How do I make photo CDs in PM using the capture time.

Mac 10.4.11, 1 GB ram, I shoot NEF or NEF & jpg files.

thanks,  Denis C.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Photo CDs created from capture time
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:44:45 PM »
Denis,

I've searched this question and can't locate an answer in your forum. I shoot events with a D3 and 2 D2Xs. I've carefully adjusted the camera clocks and when I view the images in PM 4.5.3.1 and chose 'capture time' they are resorted and everything is displayed in the correct chronological order. Pop in a fresh CD and us the 'burn disc' function and the end result is a CD that is based on 'file names'. How do I make photo CDs in PM using the capture time.

Mac 10.4.11, 1 GB ram, I shoot NEF or NEF & jpg files.

If you're viewing the CD's file listing with the Finder, it is sorting the filenames alphabetically.  Photo Mechanic cannot control how other applications list the filenames.

-Kirk

Offline kbnovak

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Kevin Novak Photo
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:24:12 AM »
Denis,

If you rename the images after you've sorted them by capture time, you should get the result you are interested in.

Kevin

Offline Denis C.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:32:36 PM »
Thanks Kevin!  I was trying to work my way through this myself... but you saved the day.  For the record I ended up using the 'set {seqn} varible...' feature.  I entered three capital letters (instructions call these initials) to customize the file name, entered a space, then began the sequence with 0001. Then hit Apple 'Y' to copy them with their new filenames. And it worked!!

The first time I tried to rename the over 400 jpegs something went awry. Originally my filename used a prefix, Leaders, then I chose the sequence starting at 001.jpg.  When I copied all 443 images and tried to play them back PM did something strange.  Leaders259.jpg was followed by Leaders26.jpg, then Leaders260.jpg.  This happened every time we reached a 10 in the count. I'm not sure what it liked about my sequence 'only' filename, with the extra space and zero added, but it worked.  Anyway I've burned a CD and have it playing in slideshow mode on my old eMac running PM 3.2.7.

Thanks again, Denis

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 08:59:14 PM »
Denis,

The first time I tried to rename the over 400 jpegs something went awry. Originally my filename used a prefix, Leaders, then I chose the sequence starting at 001.jpg.  When I copied all 443 images and tried to play them back PM did something strange.  Leaders259.jpg was followed by Leaders26.jpg, then Leaders260.jpg.  This happened every time we reached a 10 in the count. I'm not sure what it liked about my sequence 'only' filename, with the extra space and zero added, but it worked.  Anyway I've burned a CD and have it playing in slideshow mode on my old eMac running PM 3.2.7.

That is because you likely had your sequence number set as '01' or just '1'.  You need to give enough leading zeros to handle the maximum expected number of digits.  So if you have up to 999 photos, you should use a sequence number of 001.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Denis C.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »
Kirk, in fairness you may be right.  I'll snap some sample images on three different bodies and try your method.  Because I was mucking around with some of file names, changing them manually, this may also have contributed to a numbering problem. 

Trust me, I've used PM since 1996 and it is rock solid!

cheers,  Denis