Author Topic: Capture NX2 - no IPTC information appearing  (Read 6257 times)

Offline gnomus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Capture NX2 - no IPTC information appearing
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:34:08 AM »
I've been using PM and NX for quite some time now without any significant problems.  I am now using Capture NX2 and PM 4.5.3.2.  I can't get this combination to work at all.  None of the IPTC information is transferred to NX2 so I lose all my keywording.  If I use NX2 to browse through the folder containing files that I have keyworded using PM, NX2 does not "see" any IPTC/XMP information.  I have set up my preferences as per the suggestions in the PM Help file.

Does anyone have any ideas?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:53:05 AM by gnomus »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Capture NX2 - no IPTC information appearing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:41:46 AM »
I've been using PM and NX for quite some time now without any significant problems.  I am now using Capture NX2 and PM 4.5.3.2.  I can't get this combination to work at all.  None of the IPTC information is transferred to NX2 so I lose all my keywording.  If I use NX2 to browse through the folder containing files that I have keyworded using PM, NX2 does not "see" any IPTC/XMP information.  I have set up my preferences as per the suggestions in the PM Help file.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Are you embedding IPTC and XMP?  Capture NX2 works with embedded information only.  XMP sidecar files are ignored.

If you could post a screenshot of your IPTC/XMP preferences that may be helpful.

-Kirk

Offline gnomus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 09:01:10 AM »
Sorry to be so dense, but how do I take a screenshot of my preferences?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:41:41 PM »
Sorry to be so dense, but how do I take a screenshot of my preferences?

It depends on what OS you're running.  You didn't state which OS you're running in your original posting.

-Kirk

Offline gnomus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 10:31:36 AM »
I use Windows Vista 32 bit home premium edition.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 06:52:30 PM »
I use Windows Vista 32 bit home premium edition.

Ctrl-PrtScn will grab the current screen and put it into the clipboard.  If you then open up Paint (comes with Windows) and then paste the graphic (Ctrl-V) and then save the image as a JPEG from Paint you should then be able to use the 'Additional Options...' link when you compose your reply to upload your image.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline gnomus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 10:04:25 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I think I found out what the problem was.  Although I had my desktop PC set up correctly, my laptop (which I used to keyword everything during my recent trip) was not.  I wondered about how to fix this for a while.  Whilst the correct IPTC/XMP information was appearing in PM there was nothing in NX2.  Eventually, I discovered that if I selected all the files and did an "Apply Stationary Pad" using my correctly set up PC , all the keywords etc were now in a form that NX2 could read. 

I've now set up the laptop correctly so hopefully I'm sorted now. 

Thanks for your help.