Author Topic: Possibly a PM bug?  (Read 3068 times)

Offline aplman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Possibly a PM bug?
« on: October 23, 2008, 04:27:25 AM »
Hi!  I am evaluating PM 4.5.3.2 (on Windows XP), and finding it very exciting.  However, I have not been able to rename files during Ingest the way I want to.  Please see the attached screenshot.  The rename string I am trying to use (on 380 image files)  should give unique file names, so I believe the message is wrong.

What I really want is to rename all ingested files as {yr4}-{mn0}{day0}- followed by a three-digit sequence number that restarts at 1 whenever the value of {yr4}-{mn0}{day0} changes.
E.g.
2008-1023-001
2008-1023-002
2008-1023-003
2008-1104-001
etc.

I feel sure PM must be able to do this, but I can't work out how.

Thank you for your help ...
Ken Travers
(new PM fan!)

Offline aplman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly a PM bug?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 04:29:49 AM »
Attachment of screenshot seems to have failed.  Here it is.
aplman

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 06:38:19 AM »
Ken,

Hi!  I am evaluating PM 4.5.3.2 (on Windows XP), and finding it very exciting.  However, I have not been able to rename files during Ingest the way I want to.  Please see the attached screenshot.  The rename string I am trying to use (on 380 image files)  should give unique file names, so I believe the message is wrong.

What I really want is to rename all ingested files as {yr4}-{mn0}{day0}- followed by a three-digit sequence number that restarts at 1 whenever the value of {yr4}-{mn0}{day0} changes.
E.g.
2008-1023-001
2008-1023-002
2008-1023-003
2008-1104-001
etc.

I feel sure PM must be able to do this, but I can't work out how.

There is no 'auto reset sequence variable' in Photo Mechanic.  You'll need to add the sequence variable to keep the error you were getting from happening, but it won't do exactly what you're asking it to do.  Add {seqn} to the end of your renaming string.

There is no variable named {indx} so it evaluates to nothing.  That is why too many of your file names will rename to the same name.  Once the rename would result in more than about eight files with the same name then the error is reported.

-Kirk

Offline aplman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 12:59:30 PM »
Thank you Kirk for the very speedy reply!
Page 53 of the manual lists {index} and {indx}, but neither works in my case.  Is it the manual or the program that needs fixing?
In any case, the message is wrong  --  not ALL my files would get the same name as the message suggests.
Please forgive my pedantry ...
(a) I can't help it, I've been a programmer for 46 years!
(b) I always feel it's our duty to report deficiencies so the software can be refined even further.
Thanks again ... your support seems as excellent as your product!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:05:12 PM »
Ken,

Page 53 of the manual lists {index} and {indx}, but neither works in my case.  Is it the manual or the program that needs fixing?
In any case, the message is wrong  --  not ALL my files would get the same name as the message suggests.
Please forgive my pedantry ...
(a) I can't help it, I've been a programmer for 46 years!
(b) I always feel it's our duty to report deficiencies so the software can be refined even further.
Thanks again ... your support seems as excellent as your product!

You're right about the {indx} variable.  I should have checked more closely.  That variable comes into play during printing and exporting, I believe.  I'd have to check the code to be absolutely certain.

-Kirk