Author Topic: D700 Support  (Read 5104 times)

Offline jon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
D700 Support
« on: November 13, 2008, 07:24:05 PM »
Which version has support for the D700?
Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: D700 Support
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 11:24:02 PM »
Which version has support for the D700?

What OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline jon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 10:14:06 AM »
10.5+.
Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 02:38:55 PM »
Jon,

10.5+.
Thanks.

OK, well it depends on what you mean by support.  RAW rendering for the D700 NEF does not work yet in any third-party applications like Photo Mechanic.  Only Apple's iPhoto and Aperture are graced with that capability.

Otherwise, if viewing high-quality previews, and IPTC/XMP captioning support is what you're looking for then version 4.5.3.2 should work just fine.

-Kirk

Offline jon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 02:43:09 PM »
Thanks. Of course Nikon NX2 and Nikon Capture and View.....using Aperture for current standard editing with CS3 for other things. Any plans for PM to provide Nikon in camera NEF rendering?
Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 02:54:32 PM »
Jon,

Thanks. Of course Nikon NX2 and Nikon Capture and View.....using Aperture for current standard editing with CS3 for other things. Any plans for PM to provide Nikon in camera NEF rendering?

It's entirely up to Apple at this point.  When Apple provides a new version of ImageIO for third-party applications that supports the D700, we'll be able to support RAW rendering for the D700 in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline jon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 05:11:11 PM »
Thanks. I'll be watching and waiting.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 05:28:54 PM »
Thanks. I'll be watching and waiting.

Meaning that you can't use Photo Mechanic with your D700 until it can use ImageIO to render the as shot settings from the RAW data?

-Kirk

Offline jon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 07:43:35 PM »
I understand.
Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 08:07:31 PM »
Jon,

I understand.

I'm sorry but I think you still misunderstand me.  Nearly 100% of Photo Mechanic's functionality already works with the D700.  The only thing that wouldn't work at the moment would be the Save as function from the RAW image data.  Everything else works.

Unless using Save as is vitally important to you then there really is nothing to wait for.

-Kirk

Offline jon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 08:52:55 PM »
Maybe you are right. I don't understand. I know that PM recognizes NEF from the D700. However, my question is if it also will recognize the in camera settings (presets) of the camera? Can these be exported to jpegs with the same settings?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 05:41:20 AM »
Maybe you are right. I don't understand. I know that PM recognizes NEF from the D700. However, my question is if it also will recognize the in camera settings (presets) of the camera? Can these be exported to jpegs with the same settings?

Photo Mechanic's main purpose is not to be a RAW converter.  In fact it has no capabilities whatsoever to make adjustments to RAW data to then produce a TIFF or a JPEG.  The RAW rendering that it does do for older cameras is to use Apple's ImageIO rendering of the camera's as-shot settings.  In the case of the D700 NEF file, it already has a full resolution JPEG embedded into it and Photo Mechanic can extract that embedded JPEG out to a standalone JPEG file with absolutely no loss in quality.  The "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos..." command on the Tools menu does this and it does it very quickly.

Because modern cameras are putting better quality JPEG previews in their RAW files we have made a change for version 4.6 to allow RAW files to do a Save As operation even if support for rendering that file version is not available.  The embedded JPEG data is used as the source data.  Version 4.6 is still in development at this time.

So if all you're wanting is to get JPEGs out of your D700 NEF files and you want them to look just like they do everywhere in Photo Mechanic, then use the "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos..." command on the Tools menu.  Just select all of the images before you choose the command, and seconds later you'll have your result.

HTH,

-Kirk