Author Topic: Collections  (Read 3725 times)

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
Collections
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:40:01 AM »
I have considered adding something like you described earlier, but I was going to call them "Albums" or "Collections".  They would be Favorites that would keep references (paths) to the files stored in different locations, not duplicating the files.  You could add items to them by drag and drop, and you could remove them by deleting them (just the reference would be deleted, not the file.)

Would that solve your issue?

-Kirk

I just ran across your suggestion  from 2006! regarding collections, but was adVised to start a new thread because that one is more than 120 days old.

What you are proposing, Kirk, is something that I would REALLY love to have in PM.  It's the ONE area where I am finding PM awkward to work with, now that I am organising my photos into collections for different uses, chapters in a book, slide shows, portfolios with different subjects, etc .   An image might find itseld in more than one collection.

I tried to find a workaround that uses keywords etc, but I could not save those selections as Favorites.

So I'm wondering if your idea is going to make it into the next version?

Thanks

Jim Swift
http://jhsw.ca

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Collections
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:09:27 PM »
Jim,

I have considered adding something like you described earlier, but I was going to call them "Albums" or "Collections".  They would be Favorites that would keep references (paths) to the files stored in different locations, not duplicating the files.  You could add items to them by drag and drop, and you could remove them by deleting them (just the reference would be deleted, not the file.)

I just ran across your suggestion  from 2006! regarding collections, but was adVised to start a new thread because that one is more than 120 days old.

What you are proposing, Kirk, is something that I would REALLY love to have in PM.  It's the ONE area where I am finding PM awkward to work with, now that I am organising my photos into collections for different uses, chapters in a book, slide shows, portfolios with different subjects, etc .   An image might find itseld in more than one collection.

I tried to find a workaround that uses keywords etc, but I could not save those selections as Favorites.

So I'm wondering if your idea is going to make it into the next version?

No, not for version 4.6.  Its feature set is pretty much complete now.

The feature you're describing is much better provided for by a cataloging system.  We are working on that now and don't see any point in doing what I described back in 2006.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 05:01:14 AM »
Obviously to have it recognize Adobe collections would be a very nice addition.....
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 06:57:44 AM »
Obviously to have it recognize Adobe collections would be a very nice addition.....

I suppose it would, though I don't have any idea how their proprietary database is laid out.  This would be highly unlikely to be implemented unless Lightroom has a method for exporting that data to a format like XML.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 11:06:51 AM »
This would be highly unlikely to be implemented unless Lightroom has a method for exporting that data to a format like XML.

-Kirk

I think it may as I think bridge will recognize light room collections and I think that may be through XML....
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 12:06:04 PM »
This would be highly unlikely to be implemented unless Lightroom has a method for exporting that data to a format like XML.

-Kirk

I think it may as I think bridge will recognize light room collections and I think that may be through XML....

If you can get me some data from Lightroom, I'd be happy to look at it.  But I'm not surprised that Bridge can recognize Collections since both applications are made by the same company.

-Kirk