Author Topic: mac multi-touch/preference export  (Read 3046 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
mac multi-touch/preference export
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:27:47 PM »
I'm trying out 4.6 on 10.5.6 and as with the previous version I was using (4.4.3.3) some windows work with my MacBook Pro multi-touch trackpad, some work partially, and some not at all. In all cases I'm referring to scrolling using 2 fingers on the trackpad, and in all cases everything works fine the old-fashioned way by grabbing the scroll bar and moving it.

I can scroll through the Favourites column perfectly. The IPTC Info window allows me to scroll briefly, but always gets stuck. The Info window in preview mode does not allow any multi-touch scrolling. Scrolling through the main image window in preview mode works, although it seems a bit odd that the gesture is up & down when the thumbnails advance side to side.

I'm wondering if this is normal behaviour for PM or if it some sort of Apple limitation, bug, or perhaps there's a problem with my laptop?

Also, it says in the release notes that “Nearly all preference settings can now be exported...”. My main concerns are exporting all my IPTC data like saved keywords etc, exporting snapshots, and other user-input type things. It looks to me like all that is included, which is fantastic, but I just thought I'd ask if there was anything of consequence missing from the preferences export.

Thanks!

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
Re: mac multi-touch/preference export
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:52:29 PM »
Well, that would be very cool if PM would support all the trackpad gestures like zooming, rotating and scrolling. 8)

Kirk, any chance that the minority of PM mac notebook users will get these features?

HM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »
I'm trying out 4.6 on 10.5.6 and as with the previous version I was using (4.4.3.3) some windows work with my MacBook Pro multi-touch trackpad, some work partially, and some not at all. In all cases I'm referring to scrolling using 2 fingers on the trackpad, and in all cases everything works fine the old-fashioned way by grabbing the scroll bar and moving it.

I can scroll through the Favourites column perfectly. The IPTC Info window allows me to scroll briefly, but always gets stuck. The Info window in preview mode does not allow any multi-touch scrolling. Scrolling through the main image window in preview mode works, although it seems a bit odd that the gesture is up & down when the thumbnails advance side to side.

I'm wondering if this is normal behaviour for PM or if it some sort of Apple limitation, bug, or perhaps there's a problem with my laptop?

Also, it says in the release notes that “Nearly all preference settings can now be exported...”. My main concerns are exporting all my IPTC data like saved keywords etc, exporting snapshots, and other user-input type things. It looks to me like all that is included, which is fantastic, but I just thought I'd ask if there was anything of consequence missing from the preferences export.

The reason the IPTC Info window gets stuck is probably because your mouse cursor ends up over a text field and the OS starts sending the scroll events to the text field instead.  I made it so you can click-drag in any empty space to slide the fields up and down as a workaround.  As for the other examples, I don't know, but I doubt there is anything wrong with your system.

The things that are not exported are path-related items.  Those items would be unlikely to work on any system but your own so they are omitted.  All other settings should be able to be exported and imported on another system.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:35:20 PM »
Well, that would be very cool if PM would support all the trackpad gestures like zooming, rotating and scrolling. 8)

Kirk, any chance that the minority of PM mac notebook users will get these features?

Maybe someday, but we're focused on just finishing up 4.6 at this point.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:51:16 PM »
The reason the IPTC Info window gets stuck is probably because your mouse cursor ends up over a text field and the OS starts sending the scroll events to the text field instead.  I made it so you can click-drag in any empty space to slide the fields up and down as a workaround

Yup, that would be the IPTC problem all right. Just tried it, and when my cursor hits the text field it stops. So if I keep the cursor off to the left or right side where it won't hit text, or do the click-drag as you suggest, it works fine. Thanks for that.

As for the Info window in preview mode, I did discover that if you put the cursor on the narrow left or right side frame that multi-touch scrolling does work, although the placement of the cursor leaves little room for error. Not a big deal though... I'm just getting spoiled by multi-touch.

Thanks.