Author Topic: Search by ISO?  (Read 2674 times)

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Search by ISO?
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:34:33 PM »
I'm not finding it at the moment, but is there a way to configure PM to search by ISO? I'm not seeing that in my list of search variables to choose from... But, since EXIF stuff in PM is so configurable, I figured there might be a way that I'm missing...

I'm trying to find all images on my hard drive(s) that are ISO 12,000 or above.

P.S. -- I should mention that I'm on Mac 10.5 and current version of PM.

Thanks,
David
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:51:59 PM by david_hill »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Search by ISO?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 03:11:21 PM »
David,

I'm not finding it at the moment, but is there a way to configure PM to search by ISO? I'm not seeing that in my list of search variables to choose from... But, since EXIF stuff in PM is so configurable, I figured there might be a way that I'm missing...

I'm trying to find all images on my hard drive(s) that are ISO 12,000 or above.

P.S. -- I should mention that I'm on Mac 10.5 and current version of PM.

No, there is no way to search for ISO values.  Apple completely messed up the ISO data they record in Spotlight.  The data almost seems random.  When I was at an Apple Developer conference I asked some of the people on the Spotlight team what the ISO value format was.  None of them knew the answer.

-Kirk

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 03:13:35 PM »
Ha... that sounds like what they used to do with the Aperture value... but at least that was decipherable.

Thanks for letting me know.

FWIW, I would love to see an on-demand search/index not based on spotlight. I often turn Spotlight off. It can be annoying.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 05:06:02 AM »
Wouldn't a work around be to open ALL your images in a single contact sheet and then use PM's find function and/or the custom sort funtion to sort on {iso} (if there are a lot of images, expect this sorting to take a LONG while).

Another way would be to use e.g., exiftool to list all your files with their ISO rating. For instance:
exiftool -T -FileName -ISO <files>
This will give you a list of filenames with their corresponding ISO setting.

Hope this helps,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 12:01:10 AM »
Kirk, Hayo -

Just fyi, as of 10.5.6 searches done in spotlight itself are accurate when searching by ISO. Not sure when you last tried it, or if it matters. But if you can pull spotlight results without having to dig too far into them, maybe something could work.

As to opening all my images in a single contact sheet, I didn't even know you could do that! And, I already have that (very slow) solution in Lightroom. I'm mainly wanting to use PM's interface together with Spotlight results.

- David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 06:48:24 AM »
David,

Just fyi, as of 10.5.6 searches done in spotlight itself are accurate when searching by ISO. Not sure when you last tried it, or if it matters. But if you can pull spotlight results without having to dig too far into them, maybe something could work.

As to opening all my images in a single contact sheet, I didn't even know you could do that! And, I already have that (very slow) solution in Lightroom. I'm mainly wanting to use PM's interface together with Spotlight results.

ISO does appear to be reliable now.  I've added ISO as one of the possible Search criteria for the upcoming 4.6.1 release.

-Kirk