Author Topic: IPTC SOURCE FIELD NOT ACCEPTING ALL CHARICTERS FROM FILE INFO  (Read 2355 times)

Offline newtonk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I have a problem with the length of characters allowed in the IPTC SOURCE field in Photoshop and the IPTC SOURCE field display in Photo Mechanic. When I input the IPTC SOURCE information in file info in Photoshop I am able to input my entire character set and length, but when I view this in Photo Mechanic not all of the characters are transferred over.   Is there a way to increase the number of characters Photo Mechanic sees in the IPTC source field from file info in photoshop.  I have attached two screen shots, one of the view in File Info in Photoshop and one of the same image from Photo Mechanic. Notice, that in the Photoshop File Info Source box the entire phone number is visable, but in the Photo Mechanic IPTC source box the Phone number is missing the last 2 characters. I am able to directly input all the information into Photo Mechanic, but I have hundreds of files that were created using file info in Photoshop and this information is not transferring to Photo Mechanic  I am using Mac OS X Version 5.6, with 4GB of SDRAM.
Thank you for your help
Kim

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC SOURCE FIELD NOT ACCEPTING ALL CHARICTERS FROM FILE INFO
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:41:49 AM »
Kim,

I have a problem with the length of characters allowed in the IPTC SOURCE field in Photoshop and the IPTC SOURCE field display in Photo Mechanic. When I input the IPTC SOURCE information in file info in Photoshop I am able to input my entire character set and length, but when I view this in Photo Mechanic not all of the characters are transferred over.   Is there a way to increase the number of characters Photo Mechanic sees in the IPTC source field from file info in photoshop.  I have attached two screen shots, one of the view in File Info in Photoshop and one of the same image from Photo Mechanic. Notice, that in the Photoshop File Info Source box the entire phone number is visable, but in the Photo Mechanic IPTC source box the Phone number is missing the last 2 characters. I am able to directly input all the information into Photo Mechanic, but I have hundreds of files that were created using file info in Photoshop and this information is not transferring to Photo Mechanic  I am using Mac OS X Version 5.6, with 4GB of SDRAM.

Photo Mechanic does not trim off IPTC fields.  Photoshop does trim fields when writing out legacy IPTC data.  What is likely happening is that Photoshop is trimming off your Source field with no warning, writing out the truncated IPTC data, and non-truncated XMP data.  Then you likely have PM set to read IPTC before XMP and therefore PM is showing the truncated field.  Try setting your IPTC/XMP preferences to read XMP before IPTC and see if that helps.

-Kirk

Offline newtonk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: IPTC SOURCE FIELD NOT ACCEPTING ALL CHARICTERS FROM FILE INFO
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:53:36 AM »
Kirk, First, thank you for the speedy reply. Second, you're a genius, that did the trick. I had been changing the wrong IPTC/XMP preference, the one below for TIFF -RAW. The one above was the one. Thank you.
Kim