Author Topic: Losing Star & Color Ratings on RAW images, even in 4.6.1 Beta  (Read 2417 times)

Offline JessStrickland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I've been struggling with my star ratings on RAW images, transferring from PM to Lightroom for a while now(latest versions of 4.5 and now 4.6). I've been watching the forum for a while too and tried all fixes listed, ensured that settings are what they are supposed to be and even tested the 4.6.1 Beta. I still cannot get the star ratings to transfer to Lightroom.

The color rating won't work on RAW or JPEG, but the star ratings will work on JPEG but NOT RAW.

Can you please make some suggestions of other things to try! While I love PM, this problem is getting really frustrating and time consuming...

PLEASE HELP! Thank you!

Mac OSX 10.5.6, 9GB Ram

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Losing Star & Color Ratings on RAW images, even in 4.6.1 Beta
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 02:24:13 PM »
Jess,

I've been struggling with my star ratings on RAW images, transferring from PM to Lightroom for a while now(latest versions of 4.5 and now 4.6). I've been watching the forum for a while too and tried all fixes listed, ensured that settings are what they are supposed to be and even tested the 4.6.1 Beta. I still cannot get the star ratings to transfer to Lightroom.

The color rating won't work on RAW or JPEG, but the star ratings will work on JPEG but NOT RAW.

Can you please make some suggestions of other things to try! While I love PM, this problem is getting really frustrating and time consuming...

PLEASE HELP! Thank you!

Mac OSX 10.5.6, 9GB Ram

Please post a screenshot of the IPTC/XMP tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.  Also, post a screenshot of the Files tab, please.

-Kirk

Offline JessStrickland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 07:01:16 AM »
screenshots attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:24:32 AM »
Jess,

screenshots attached.

That makes things much more clear.  Thanks!

You're experiencing difficulties because you're not telling PM to Always create and/or update XMP sidecar files.  So Lightroom isn't seeing ratings or color labels.  Change the popup menu currently titled "If XMP sidecar files exist, add and/or update with IPTC4XMP" to read "Always create and/or update XMP sidecar file with IPTC4XMP" and that should fix things.  You'll still need to do some sort of operation in Photo Mechanic to cause the XMP sidecar files to be created.  This could be as simple as Tagging and un-Tagging the files, or applying an IPTC Stationery Pad to clear some unused IPTC field.

You should also change the read order for your TIFF-based RAW files to read XMP sidecar files first, embedded IPTC second, and embedded XMP third.

Once you have made these changes, 4.6.1 should work quite well for you and Lightroom should see your ratings and color labels.  For best compatibility you should use the same color class/label names in both applications.

-Kirk

Offline JessStrickland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 12:47:44 PM »
AHHHH!! Thanks, Kirk...YOU ROCK! :) I must say, though...I left it at the default settings, I haven't ever changed any of that.... so I'm left to wonder if it shouldn't be standard that the rating apply to the images for use in other programs!

THANK YOU, again!