Author Topic: Disable Right Click Templet  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Junebug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • pictures that tell a story
Disable Right Click Templet
« on: April 03, 2009, 08:24:39 AM »
Mac & PC PM 4.6

PM Classic Templet

I really appreciate the addition of being able to add a download link to this html page...
But...
I could sure use an option to "Right Click Disable" the copying of images.

Problem: I'm in a corporate situation, sending a lot of PM Classic Templet pages to a lot of people who (try as I might to educate them) end up copying images to their drive. The filenames of the right-click saved images have nothing to do with the images real photofile name and two weeks later I'm getting rush requests for photofile numbers that relate to nothing.

Any suggestions for me? Or maybe this is a suggestion for the PM Classic templet maker?

YT... Jb.
Junebug Clark
Denton, TX
http://www.MooreClark.net

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Disable Right Click Templet
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:35:29 AM »
JB,

Mac & PC PM 4.6

PM Classic Templet

I really appreciate the addition of being able to add a download link to this html page...
But...
I could sure use an option to "Right Click Disable" the copying of images.

Problem: I'm in a corporate situation, sending a lot of PM Classic Templet pages to a lot of people who (try as I might to educate them) end up copying images to their drive. The filenames of the right-click saved images have nothing to do with the images real photofile name and two weeks later I'm getting rush requests for photofile numbers that relate to nothing.

Any suggestions for me? Or maybe this is a suggestion for the PM Classic templet maker?

Just stopping right-click-save isn't enough.  Most modern browsers will simply let you drag and drop copy images from the web page.  There is no way to stop that at all, so even if we added the JavaScript code to disable the contextual menu (it won't work all of the time anyway because users can disable JavaScript, and some browsers don't support blocking the contextual menu anyway) you would still get users using drag and drop instead.

Perhaps the solution is to put some metadata into the images with the IPTC Stationery Pad that lets you know what the original filename was.  Then the users could email you the preview image, you could view its IPTC Info and see what image they're really requesting.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Junebug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • pictures that tell a story
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:30:35 PM »
I was just hoping to find a way to SLOW DOWN the Right-Clickers, Drag-Copyiers and whatever.

Two times recently the copied files no longer existed, just the bogus numbers.

No big deal. Just a part of reality.

YT... Jb.
Junebug Clark
Denton, TX
http://www.MooreClark.net

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 01:12:21 PM »
JB,

I was just hoping to find a way to SLOW DOWN the Right-Clickers, Drag-Copyiers and whatever.

Two times recently the copied files no longer existed, just the bogus numbers.

No big deal. Just a part of reality.

Try using one of the Flash-based galleries.  There is no way that the user can save images from a Flash gallery.

-Kirk

Offline rlonghitano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:32:21 PM »
This can be done but you'll have to edit the "template-main.rb" Ruby script in the (Mac) "Contents"--> "builtin_templates"--> "export" folder.  Do a serach for a "right click" java script and add it right after the <head> section of the script.

I didn't write the script I use so I won't copy & past it but I did find one here:

http://www.rgagnon.com/jsdetails/js-0061.html
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:35:39 PM by rlonghitano »