Author Topic: Problems working with NEF Files  (Read 4347 times)

Offline JenniferRT66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problems working with NEF Files
« on: April 26, 2009, 07:44:40 PM »
I made a separate posting under another heading regarding GPS coordinates and NEF files. However, it seems I am having difficulty with all features and applying them to Nikon .NEF files. If I import GPS coordinates, apply IPTC Stationery, or use Structured Keywords on NEF files, the properties don't stick.

I am doing the processes peroperly because when I do the same things with JPGS, all works fine. It's only my NEF files that don't work. That is a key feature that I would like to  do the NEF files first, then extract JPGS on just the "winning" photos.  I am evaluating 4.6.1, using Windows Vista. The photos are all Nikon NEF, taken with a D50.

Thanks,

Jennifer

P.S. Kirk, I was evaluating PM a month or so ago, but had to stop due to a family emergency...things have somewhat settled down, allowing me to resume my evaluation. Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problems working with NEF Files
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 08:15:50 PM »
Jennifer,

I made a separate posting under another heading regarding GPS coordinates and NEF files. However, it seems I am having difficulty with all features and applying them to Nikon .NEF files. If I import GPS coordinates, apply IPTC Stationery, or use Structured Keywords on NEF files, the properties don't stick.

I am doing the processes peroperly because when I do the same things with JPGS, all works fine. It's only my NEF files that don't work. That is a key feature that I would like to  do the NEF files first, then extract JPGS on just the "winning" photos.  I am evaluating 4.6.1, using Windows Vista. The photos are all Nikon NEF, taken with a D50.

Would it be possible for you to post screen shots of the following tabs of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog:

Files
IPTC/XMP

I'd like to see what your settings are.  You can use the 'Additional Options...' link to add your JPEG screen shots to your response.

-Kirk

Offline JenniferRT66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:27:49 PM »
Here is the Files tab and the IPTC-XMP tab...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 10:13:20 PM »
Jennifer,

Here is the Files tab and the IPTC-XMP tab...

OK, thanks.  In order for some features to work with your NEF files you're going to have to get XMP data created.  You can do this by either choosing to embed IPTC4XMP or by always creating an XMP sidecar file.  What other applications are you using (like your RAW converter)?  If you're using Adobe products, have PM always create XMP sidecar files.  If you're using Nikon Capture NX2 then embed IPTC4XMP instead.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline JenniferRT66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 03:57:20 AM »
I do use Adobe Camera RAW to edit NEF files and convert to JPG. However, since PM can extract a JPG, can I use Camera Raw just to edit the photo (adjust exposure, levels, etc.), save the NEF, have PM extract the JPG, and I still embed or do I have to use the sidecar file if I do ANYTHING in Camera RAW? Does RAW automatically create an XMP sidecar file? I know Bridge does, but Bridge is exactly why I want to try PM!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 12:05:18 PM »
Jennifer,

I do use Adobe Camera RAW to edit NEF files and convert to JPG. However, since PM can extract a JPG, can I use Camera Raw just to edit the photo (adjust exposure, levels, etc.), save the NEF, have PM extract the JPG, and I still embed or do I have to use the sidecar file if I do ANYTHING in Camera RAW? Does RAW automatically create an XMP sidecar file? I know Bridge does, but Bridge is exactly why I want to try PM!

ACR definitely creates XMP sidecar files when you adjust NEFs with it.  So I suggest you adopt an XMP sidecar workflow in PM.  Do not embed IPTC4XMP in your TIFF-based RAW files (NEFs are TIFF-based RAW files).

As for the save as JPEG part in PM, that will work fine for images that haven't been adjusted, but if you adjust an image in ACR and then do a Save As JPEG in PM you won't get the adjusted image.  You'll get the as shot image.  The best workflow for this kind of need is to adopt a DNG workflow since ACR updates the JPEG preview in DNG files just fine, and the XMP data will be inside the DNG file so there's no XMP sidecar file needed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Kirk

Offline JenniferRT66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 02:37:16 PM »
Jennifer,

ACR definitely creates XMP sidecar files when you adjust NEFs with it.  So I suggest you adopt an XMP sidecar workflow in PM.  Do not embed IPTC4XMP in your TIFF-based RAW files (NEFs are TIFF-based RAW files).

As for the save as JPEG part in PM, that will work fine for images that haven't been adjusted, but if you adjust an image in ACR and then do a Save As JPEG in PM you won't get the adjusted image.  You'll get the as shot image.  The best workflow for this kind of need is to adopt a DNG workflow since ACR updates the JPEG preview in DNG files just fine, and the XMP data will be inside the DNG file so there's no XMP sidecar file needed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Kirk

One quick question - what are the steps to a DNG workflow? I haven't worked with those files, so I am unsure how to go from RAW to DNG to JPG or whatever the process would be.

Thanks,

Jennifer

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 04:01:55 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 04:04:45 PM »
Jennifer,

One quick question - what are the steps to a DNG workflow? I haven't worked with those files, so I am unsure how to go from RAW to DNG to JPG or whatever the process would be.

DNG is Adobe's RAW format.  You can get the free Adobe DNG Converter from Adobe's website.  Once installed, you can use the "Convert to DNG..." command on the Tools menu to convert your NEF files to DNG.  I wouldn't get rid of your NEFs, just keep them.  Then edit in ACR with the DNG files.  PM will be able to save the adjusted DNG previews as JPEGs and they'll look just the way you expect them to look.

HTH,

-Kirk