Author Topic: GPS log file using only GPS coordinate  (Read 3319 times)

Offline bobsmith9

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
GPS log file using only GPS coordinate
« on: April 26, 2009, 10:06:23 AM »
Using PM 4.6 or 4.6.1 beta 6 - when I import a gpx file and apply to a folder of images - it says all images match up to gps data, but only one gps coordinate is inserted into all the images.  The gps track may cover 20 or more miles, but every image receives the exact same gps coordinates.

The gps track maps correctly as far as the area covered.

I'm using Nikon RAW files from a D3 and D300.  Photo Mechanic is running on my MacBook Pro with OS X 10.5.6 and 2GB RAM.

Let me know if I can provide any other info.

Bob

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:08:20 AM by bobsmith9 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GPS log file using only GPS coordinate
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:19:50 PM »
Bob,

Using PM 4.6 or 4.6.1 beta 6 - when I import a gpx file and apply to a folder of images - it says all images match up to gps data, but only one gps coordinate is inserted into all the images.  The gps track may cover 20 or more miles, but every image receives the exact same gps coordinates.

I'm using Nikon RAW files from a D3 and D300.  Photo Mechanic is running on my MacBook Pro with OS X 10.5.6 and 2GB RAM.

What time offset are you using?  Are they perhaps mapping all to a coordinate at either the beginning of the log or the end of the log?

-Kirk

Offline JenniferRT66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 07:28:41 PM »
I am testing PhotoMechanic as well and am also having difficulty tagging. I have a GPX file which I imported and the track looked fine; I did have to do an offset (not sure why - the times display properly on my GPS and on my map software, but that's OK). I set them to a -5 hr offset, and they displayed properly and found the correct batch of photos during that time frame, and displayed them in the correct location. I hit "Import GPS Coordinates" on the lower right, and it said it was applying it to all the photos in the batch, but it didn't. When I went to view the files (right click > Show Map), it does not indicate any GPS data. 

I don't remember, when I was testing PM last month, if I geotagged from PM. I think I only got to the point of viewing previously geotagged photos. I might have tried tagging photos individually, but not by importing a GPX file. Any assistance would be appreciated, because the majority of my geotagging will be by using a GPX file from my GPS.

I am testing PM 4.6.1 (the most current beta, from a couple of days ago)...I use Windows Vista. My photos are also Nikon .NEF format (taken with a Nikon D50). 

However, the function works perfectly with JPG files I extracted from RAW. So, it only does not work with the .NEF files.

Thanks,

Jennifer
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:32:45 PM by JenniferRT66 »

Offline bobsmith9

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 05:24:57 PM »
Bob,

What time offset are you using?  Are they perhaps mapping all to a coordinate at either the beginning of the log or the end of the log?

-Kirk

Kirk, I am also using a time offset of -5 hours with a 60 minute closest log time... all the photos are "matched" in the message under the GPS map display.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 05:55:11 PM »
Bob,

Kirk, I am also using a time offset of -5 hours with a 60 minute closest log time... all the photos are "matched" in the message under the GPS map display.

When was the first photo captured?  When was the last photo captured?  Did you try the 'Auto' button to calculate the time offset?  Also, 60 minutes is a large range for matches.  Try something smaller like 5.

-Kirk