Author Topic: FTP filenames are changed  (Read 5039 times)

Offline gajones

• View Profile
FTP filenames are changed
« on: July 22, 2006, 04:44:35 AM »
I've recently started using PM to upload sets of images to our website via FTP. When I do this, I create a folder by typing the name in the Destination Path of the FTP As box. An example folder name is:

20060720 Eduardo Noriega on the set of "Vantage Point" in Mexico City

The way our website works is that the text after the date is then displayed as the title for the set. What I've found however is that characters such as commas and quotes (and likely others) are being converted to underscores by PM when uploading. If I use Transmit or another FTP client, the names stay intact. Is there any way to preserve the names as entered?

Gareth

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: FTP filenames are changed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 06:33:41 AM »
I've recently started using PM to upload sets of images to our website via FTP. When I do this, I create a folder by typing the name in the Destination Path of the FTP As box. An example folder name is:

20060720 Eduardo Noriega on the set of "Vantage Point" in Mexico City

The way our website works is that the text after the date is then displayed as the title for the set. What I've found however is that characters such as commas and quotes (and likely others) are being converted to underscores by PM when uploading. If I use Transmit or another FTP client, the names stay intact. Is there any way to preserve the names as entered?

No, and you're quite lucky that your particular FTP server actually works with names like that.  Characters like that are out of specification for the FTP protocol.

-Kirk

Offline gajones

• View Profile
Re: FTP filenames are changed
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 11:08:08 AM »
No, and you're quite lucky that your particular FTP server actually works with names like that.  Characters like that are out of specification for the FTP protocol.

-Kirk

ok, thanks Kirk.