Author Topic: Closed: installer for the context menu plugin is still PowerPC-code only  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
The installer for the Finder context menu plug-in on a Mac is still a PowerPC-only application.

This makes it operate slower than necessary on Intel Macs. This isn't really problematic as you really only need to use it whenever you install a new version, but still...

Oh, and the feature to automatically restart the Finder doesn't seem to work either.

Anyway, in the light of Snow Leopard and the goodbye to PowerPC emulation in the OS, this installer is really in need of a minor overhaul.  Something to consider for a next release I guess.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:19:15 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Hayo,

The installer for the Finder context menu plug-in on a Mac is still a PowerPC-only application.

This makes it operate slower than necessary on Intel Macs. This isn't really problematic as you really only need to use it whenever you install a new version, but still...

Oh, and the feature to automatically restart the Finder doesn't seem to work either.

Anyway, in the light of Snow Leopard and the goodbye to PowerPC emulation in the OS, this installer is really in need of a minor overhaul.  Something to consider for a next release I guess.

It is an AppleScript application.  When Apple's AppleScript utilities generate Intel binaries I suppose it will work properly.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Kirk,

It is an AppleScript application.  When Apple's AppleScript utilities generate Intel binaries I suppose it will work properly.
Ah, that's interesting, seems to me Apple isn't fully consistent here. Unless maybe the binary is generated on a PowerPC Mac, but I doubt you use that, but even in this case it should at least give you the option to create Universal Binaries... I guess we need to wait for Snow Leopard in this respect...

Anyway, thanks for answering, and as I said it's not a real biggy anyway  ;D
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl