Author Topic: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!  (Read 176475 times)

Offline glewbel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2010, 02:17:34 PM »
Hi, Kirk.

I just want to add my voice to the many request for cataloging ASAP. I think you said "we're working on it" in a reply to my similar post at least a year ago (maybe two). I've been working with Aperture and Lightroom for a while, biding my time and hoping that you'd get that thing out the door.

I hate waiting for these other programs to show me my thumbnails one row... at... a... time...

PM is amazingly fast compared to every other program I've tried on the Mac. If you can come up with a cataloging feature or add-on or plug-in that preserves that speed, I'll thank you every time I turn on my system, and you'll thank all of your users like me who will buy it.

Alan,

What is the current status on this project?  I am still waiting for a cataloging program.  Have Extensis portfolio, but it doesn't handle RAW images or keep JPG/RAW files together plus it is a bear once the images are collected to evaluate.  I now export the files in order to evaluate.. a time consuming process.

We're working on it.  I don't have a projected release date for you.

-Kirk

Offline Sysyphus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2010, 03:59:09 PM »
I just want to be able to store originals off site while viewing and making catalog changes on the laptop ala Expression Media.

Offline billy3220

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »
What about some screen shots of what it might look like?

-Nick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2010, 09:38:30 PM »
Nick,

Why?  More than likely anything we were to show now would not be a good indication of the final product anyway.

-Kirk

Offline juliank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2010, 09:46:39 PM »
Kirk, any chance you could give us some projection so we can plan what to use for now .... year/quarter ??  I am not looking for a specific date, but just want to get an idea for planning.

Thanks,
Julian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2010, 10:01:08 PM »
Julian,

Kirk, any chance you could give us some projection so we can plan what to use for now .... year/quarter ??  I am not looking for a specific date, but just want to get an idea for planning.

It is our highest priority to get the cataloging solution ready for release: other than this statement we are not projecting a release date.

-Kirk

sidewinder

« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2010, 01:02:35 PM »
Nick,

Why?  More than likely anything we were to show now would not be a good indication of the final product anyway.

-Kirk

The implication here folks is that we are a LONG way from getting the cataloging product. If they don't have a good idea of how it going to look yet, forget seeing it any time soon. Great....

Scott

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2010, 02:07:11 PM »
Scott,

Nick,

-Kirk

The implication here folks is that we are a LONG way from getting the cataloging product. If they don't have a good idea of how it going to look yet, forget seeing it any time soon. Great....

That's not true at all.  We just aren't going to give a release date and do a show and tell before we're ready.  There will be a full public beta period before release.  You will have a very good idea of when it will be released by then.

-Kirk

sidewinder

« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2010, 03:11:49 PM »
That's not true at all.  We just aren't going to give a release date and do a show and tell before we're ready.  There will be a full public beta period before release.  You will have a very good idea of when it will be released by then.
Kirk,

I am not the one that said "More than likely anything we were to show now would not be a good indication of the final product anyway."

If that is a true statement, you are still a long way out. Otherwise, the user interface would be at least somewhat fleshed out and close to what we will see in the public beta release. If, on the other hand, you just don't want to show what you have right now, then say that instead. Otherwise, we are likely to infer incorrectly as you say I have done here.

Scott
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 03:38:08 PM by sidewinder »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2010, 03:59:50 PM »
Scott,

That's not true at all.  We just aren't going to give a release date and do a show and tell before we're ready.  There will be a full public beta period before release.  You will have a very good idea of when it will be released by then.
I am not the one that said "More than likely anything we were to show now would not be a good indication of the final product anyway."

If that is a true statement, you are still a long way out. Otherwise, the user interface would be at least somewhat fleshed out and close to what we will see in the public beta release. If, on the other hand, you just don't want to show what you have right now, then say that instead. Otherwise, we are likely to infer incorrectly as you say I have done here.

OK, we don't wish to show what we have right now.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2010, 07:34:05 AM »
OK, we don't wish to show what we have right now.

-Kirk

You shold publish crappy mobile images of a fake splash screen and say "First images of Camerabits' new Catalog software"...
,-)))
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2010, 08:48:14 AM »
You shold publish crappy mobile images of a fake splash screen and say "First images of Camerabits' new Catalog software"...
,-)))

;D
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline mvalent

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »
I understand that Kirk doesn't want to give too many informations about the future software...
I have one question however. I am not sure I understood well. What I understood is that the Catalog will be a new application separated from PM, possibly some kind of server. Is that correct ? In that case, can you tell us if you are working on a Mac application or a Windows application or both ? I hope you can. :-)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2010, 05:34:49 PM »
I understand that Kirk doesn't want to give too many informations about the future software...
I have one question however. I am not sure I understood well. What I understood is that the Catalog will be a new application separated from PM, possibly some kind of server. Is that correct ? In that case, can you tell us if you are working on a Mac application or a Windows application or both ? I hope you can. :-)

It will work on both Mac OS X and Windows.  Beyond that, I won't comment at this time.

-Kirk

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2010, 02:19:18 AM »
Yes, do really want it! What I am currently missing is to be able to collect images from different folders/drives to galleries. For example when looking for potential portfolio images in my archives.... Is that part of your plans for the PM DAM?

I also mentioned version handling before, to be able to find and group images that I consider versions of the same image.....so when I access one of them I will have some notification and way to see the others too. (A bit like in ID-Imager, but hopefully better implemented.)

Need a beta tester...?....;-)

Rgds
PM