Author Topic: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!  (Read 176429 times)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2010, 03:42:14 AM »
Oh come on, stop speculating and prying a release date from Kirk & Co. :) They are already more open than most software companies in that actual representatives _do_ attend the forums and write there a lot - it's understandable they do not want to show features and GUI and other things before it's completely finished. You remember the backlash at Microsoft when W7 delayed few years? And same for Apple then Leopard took a year more to be ready than announced? Or should they uncover features now when they might have to change them in the future or some competition copies their software before it's even released? Of course I want a cataloguing PM ASAP. But if it's a month, or a year, or whatever, well, if it's as well done as Photomechanic is now, I won't hesitate to buy it even if I would have to use lightroom in the meantime. Which fortunately I don't because spotlight suffices for me now.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2010, 07:00:43 AM »
Yes, do really want it! What I am currently missing is to be able to collect images from different folders/drives to galleries. For example when looking for potential portfolio images in my archives.... Is that part of your plans for the PM DAM?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by collecting images to galleries?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:40:42 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline MontyM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2010, 07:06:45 AM »
Frantisek,

Yes, do really want it! What I am currently missing is to be able to collect images from different folders/drives to galleries. For example when looking for potential portfolio images in my archives.... Is that part of your plans for the PM DAM?

-Kirk

I suspect he is thinking of "virtual" collections.  i.e. A group of pictures that contain a specific subject.  These pictures may be scattered over may different folders. But clicking on the "virtual" collection would display all the the pictures.

Monty
(yes, I am still lurking around...)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2010, 08:31:52 AM »
Monty,

I suspect he is thinking of "virtual" collections.  i.e. A group of pictures that contain a specific subject.  These pictures may be scattered over may different folders. But clicking on the "virtual" collection would display all the the pictures.

If that is the capability that Frantisek wants, then yes, he will be able to do that.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2010, 02:16:17 PM »
Monty,

If that is the capability that Frantisek wants, then yes, he will be able to do that.

-Kirk

It seems you have me mixed up with pmagi, as this hasn't been requested by me, but by pmagi, but it is an essential feature of a catalogue, so I assumed it will be included by default :)

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2010, 01:07:22 AM »
Well, it is probably the most obvious feature of a DAM, that you can make a "virtual folder" of some kind to contain images collected from various "real" folders, instead of moving/copying the actual files.
/PM

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2010, 07:09:49 AM »
Well, it is probably the most obvious feature of a DAM, that you can make a "virtual folder" of some kind to contain images collected from various "real" folders, instead of moving/copying the actual files.
/PM

Yes, that will be in there.

-Kirk

Offline nzdave

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2010, 10:48:54 AM »
I'm new to PhotoMechanic and love what it can do for me around a NEF centric workflow. I was introduced to it on a Mac and was very disappointed to find the Search feature missing on Windows. Have read this thread and I'm eagerly awaiting the cataloging solution.

Can anyone at PM share their thoughts on how this will be packaged/priced? If I purchase PM 4.6.3 now, will I have to pay full price for a new version that includes the catalog when it comes out, or would it be considered more of an upgrade?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2010, 11:27:31 AM »
I'm new to PhotoMechanic and love what it can do for me around a NEF centric workflow. I was introduced to it on a Mac and was very disappointed to find the Search feature missing on Windows. Have read this thread and I'm eagerly awaiting the cataloging solution.

Can anyone at PM share their thoughts on how this will be packaged/priced? If I purchase PM 4.6.3 now, will I have to pay full price for a new version that includes the catalog when it comes out, or would it be considered more of an upgrade?

We're still discussing how things will work.  We'll make an announcement when we've got a product and pricing.

-Kirk

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2010, 01:33:33 PM »
I am VERY late to this thread and must admit to not reading all of the comments. I do have a question- what is a catalogue and why do I need one? I came from software that produced "catalogues", to wit Expression Media, however, I don't at all miss this feature in PM, if indeed we are talking about the same thing here.
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »
John,

I am VERY late to this thread and must admit to not reading all of the comments. I do have a question- what is a catalogue and why do I need one? I came from software that produced "catalogues", to wit Expression Media, however, I don't at all miss this feature in PM, if indeed we are talking about the same thing here.

Yes, we're talking about the same thing.  Basically it's the ability to efficiently categorize and find your pictures.

-Kirk

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2010, 06:23:53 PM »
Thanks Kirk. OK then we are talking about the same thing.

Well I am a bit surprised that Camera Bits is working on this feature. Again I don't miss it at all in the current version of PM. I use a Mac and the Spotlight searches and PM Finds are fast and efficient (I know Windows users don't have Spotlight searches). The image organisation I see in PM is the folder structure I have created on my hard disk so I have complete control over this. The downside of catalogues is they take time to produce, take up disk space, and are vulnerable to loss and corruption. Having said this I would be in favour of a catalogue feature in PM if making catalogues were optional and so long as the current Contact Sheet concept (which I like a whole lot) is not lost.
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2010, 08:11:14 PM »
John,

Thanks Kirk. OK then we are talking about the same thing.

Well I am a bit surprised that Camera Bits is working on this feature. Again I don't miss it at all in the current version of PM. I use a Mac and the Spotlight searches and PM Finds are fast and efficient (I know Windows users don't have Spotlight searches). The image organisation I see in PM is the folder structure I have created on my hard disk so I have complete control over this. The downside of catalogues is they take time to produce, take up disk space, and are vulnerable to loss and corruption. Having said this I would be in favour of a catalogue feature in PM if making catalogues were optional and so long as the current Contact Sheet concept (which I like a whole lot) is not lost.

It will definitely be optional.

-Kirk

Offline dsidaway

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2010, 04:11:30 PM »
Look forward to it. Will the catalogue feature be a standalone app or an addition to PM?

Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
Dave,

Look forward to it. Will the catalogue feature be a standalone app or an addition to PM?

It will run as a separate process, but will feel like it is a part of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk