Author Topic: No longer Control over Burn Options: Speed  (Read 4487 times)

Offline psibbald

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
No longer Control over Burn Options: Speed
« on: June 10, 2009, 04:48:50 AM »
Hi Kirk,

This was covered a couple of years ago in this forum, but I wanted to make sure it was noticed by you rather than extending a very old thread.  I seem no longer to be able to control the burn option speed. I want to be able to set it at 4x but the drop-down menu is greyed out defaulting to Maximum. Perhaps it is a bug in this generation (4.6 for Mac... on a G5 Dual Core 2GHz machine).

-Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: No longer Control over Burn Options: Speed
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:33:11 AM »
Peter,

This was covered a couple of years ago in this forum, but I wanted to make sure it was noticed by you rather than extending a very old thread.  I seem no longer to be able to control the burn option speed. I want to be able to set it at 4x but the drop-down menu is greyed out defaulting to Maximum. Perhaps it is a bug in this generation (4.6 for Mac... on a G5 Dual Core 2GHz machine).

The dialog that lets you choose the speed and other burning parameters is Apple's and it determines what options should be available.  If you try to burn a disc from the Finder with the same media, do you get the same options?

-Kirk

Offline psibbald

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 06:47:30 AM »
Thanks Kirk,
Same options with the Apple Finder default burn ap but they are always open (from 4x to 16x) not greyed out. Since my first post I'm noticing that this greyed out phenomenon with PM comes and goes. For example I'm burning a large 6 DVD archive now and I have to keep interupting and restarting the burn interface a few times before the speed option opens up... then the next disk is greyed out again and defaulting to the maximum speed.If it sticks on default maximum 16x, I need to shut down PM and relaunch and go back to the beginning before i have the open option again.

And I'm noticing also, stragely, that even if I set it on slow 4 x it burns at maximum speed finishing a full dvd in a few minutes whereas a single dvd through the Finder burn Ap takes a long time but is always a good burn. But with PM supporting bridging multiple disks with a large folder of many thousands of files it is obviously advantagous to use the PM burner interface if possible
-Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 07:19:14 AM »
Peter,

Same options with the Apple Finder default burn ap but they are always open (from 4x to 16x) not greyed out. Since my first post I'm noticing that this greyed out phenomenon with PM comes and goes. For example I'm burning a large 6 DVD archive now and I have to keep interupting and restarting the burn interface a few times before the speed option opens up... then the next disk is greyed out again and defaulting to the maximum speed.If it sticks on default maximum 16x, I need to shut down PM and relaunch and go back to the beginning before i have the open option again.

And I'm noticing also, stragely, that even if I set it on slow 4 x it burns at maximum speed finishing a full dvd in a few minutes whereas a single dvd through the Finder burn Ap takes a long time but is always a good burn. But with PM supporting bridging multiple disks with a large folder of many thousands of files it is obviously advantagous to use the PM burner interface if possible

Any tips on reproducing the problem on my end?  Any specific brand of media?

-Kirk

Offline psibbald

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:02:16 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Verbatim DVD+R 16X disks. Any other specs that might help you?

-Peter

Offline psibbald

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 09:24:31 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Am investigating the possibility that from the outset it may be an idiosyncratic hardware or system problem. I'll get back to this thread once that is clearer.

Best,
Peter