Author Topic: Save As... Save To This Folder (default folder) issue  (Read 3528 times)

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
Save As... Save To This Folder (default folder) issue
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:57:20 AM »
I like what was done with the new Save As... dialog in 4.6, with 4 options to designate a target folder, rather than the logic we tried to work out in a prior version (which was never implemented right) to try to define a default folder to reduce file picking operations.

However, when I close Photo Mechanic and reopen it, my default "Save To This Folder" location is probably the first folder I ever designated after installing 4.6.  That folder is long gone (moved to an archive disk).  If I forget to reassign the folder PM makes that old folder again :-).

I don't know if this is the intended behavior, but I think PM should save and restore the last designated folder in the save As dialog.  That way when I close PM and reopen it the default assigned folder is the last folder I worked.  That is the only logical default value, short of having a preference for a default location, which might work in some work flows, but not mine because most of my save as operations are to a subfolder of my current set of original images.  Because of my preferred folder structure, the "Create Subfolder" option does not quite work for me.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Save As... Save To This Folder (default folder) issue
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 07:38:46 AM »
I like what was done with the new Save As... dialog in 4.6, with 4 options to designate a target folder, rather than the logic we tried to work out in a prior version (which was never implemented right) to try to define a default folder to reduce file picking operations.

However, when I close Photo Mechanic and reopen it, my default "Save To This Folder" location is probably the first folder I ever designated after installing 4.6.  That folder is long gone (moved to an archive disk).  If I forget to reassign the folder PM makes that old folder again :-).

I don't know if this is the intended behavior, but I think PM should save and restore the last designated folder in the save As dialog.  That way when I close PM and reopen it the default assigned folder is the last folder I worked.  That is the only logical default value, short of having a preference for a default location, which might work in some work flows, but not mine because most of my save as operations are to a subfolder of my current set of original images.  Because of my preferred folder structure, the "Create Subfolder" option does not quite work for me.

What you're describing is likely a bug.  I would never code-in such behavior.

What version of PM are you running?  And what OS are you running it on?

Version 4.6.2 is the latest shipping version and is available now.  You can get it from our website at:

http://www.camerabits.com/

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 08:17:57 AM »
I posted this after upgrading to 4.6.2 and verifying that the bug (glad you agree!) is still there.  I figured someone would have reported it before.  I have had this problem with my Vista machine, running 4.6.1, as well as this XP machine, running 4.6.1 and now 4.6.2.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:27:35 AM »
I posted this after upgrading to 4.6.2 and verifying that the bug (glad you agree!) is still there.  I figured someone would have reported it before.  I have had this problem with my Vista machine, running 4.6.1, as well as this XP machine, running 4.6.1 and now 4.6.2.

Contact me privately.  I'd like to get some files from you.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 08:34:58 AM »
You got a PM.  Thanks for the timely response, as always!