Author Topic: text edit behavior  (Read 3015 times)

Offline davv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
text edit behavior
« on: November 28, 2009, 06:10:32 AM »
This is breathtakingly minor. But it does affect my workflow, so here goes:

I shoot a lot of catalogs. I rename images to reflect a shot's content, using a hierarchy of descriptors while retaining an ongoing sequence, i.e., "waffles-butter-melt_{seqn}" and "waffles-syrup-pour_{seqn}".

When renaming batches, there is a lot of single-word replacement. Double-click a word for replacement and adjacent dashes are not selected. This is good.

Problem: adjacent underscores are selected. When renaming thousands of images, the time spent carefully dragging around the underscore really adds up.

In short, I'd prefer that the text engine regards underscores the way it regards dashes.

(Do I win an award for the most precious quibble ever?)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: text edit behavior
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:06:13 AM »
This is breathtakingly minor. But it does affect my workflow, so here goes:

I shoot a lot of catalogs. I rename images to reflect a shot's content, using a hierarchy of descriptors while retaining an ongoing sequence, i.e., "waffles-butter-melt_{seqn}" and "waffles-syrup-pour_{seqn}".

When renaming batches, there is a lot of single-word replacement. Double-click a word for replacement and adjacent dashes are not selected. This is good.

Problem: adjacent underscores are selected. When renaming thousands of images, the time spent carefully dragging around the underscore really adds up.

In short, I'd prefer that the text engine regards underscores the way it regards dashes.

(Do I win an award for the most precious quibble ever?)

The OS provides the behavior of the text fields.  Photo Mechanic is not involved at all in the process of text editing other than receiving notifications that keys have been pressed and text field contents have changed.  Mouse clicks in the text field are not reported back to Photo Mechanic at all.

Rather than use the mouse at all, why not just use the cursor keys in combination with the Shift key and select the text with the keyboard and then type in the replacement?  That's what I do when I write code and it is far faster than reaching for the mouse and then back to the keyboard...

-Kirk
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 07:08:03 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline davv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: text edit behavior
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 07:40:18 AM »
I assumed it was beyond your control. Oh well.

Like you, Kirk, I prefer keyboard input. When a solitary word is to be selected, nothing is faster than a double-click. It's not grabbing a mouse so much as poking it.

In that vein, in PM's Print dialog, I can't enter a number into Rows and Columns. Clicking up-down is required. Can this be changed?

As a general observation, I really like the way Adobe apps recognize Up/Down arrow keys (and Shift-Up/Down for expanded intervals) in number fields.

best,
David