Author Topic: PM gives *error* message in 'Save Photos as' dialogue box, crashes while trying  (Read 3109 times)

Offline Lyle Aspinall

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I'm running Photo Mechanic 4.5.4 and OS 10.5.8 on an Intel-based Mac.

Tonight my PM started showing a problem when using the 'Save Photos as' command. Ultimately, I will no longer give an estimated size of the files to be saved. In the top-right corner, under the JPEG-quality slider, where it normally gives an approximate finished-file size, it now just starts by showing '----' and then *error* when it can't do the task. When it can't even get past '----' to show *error*, it crashes. I have one particular folder specifically that consistently crashes PM when I try using the 'Save Photos as' command when it's open as a contact sheet.

I've restarted my computer, I've hit 'reset and relaunch' when my Mac gives me the option after PM unexpectedly quits, and I've pored through my preferences to see if anything looks askew. Nothing is catching my eye.

A little help?

Offline Lyle Aspinall

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I fixed my problem by following the advice found on another thread in this forum. I renamed (and eventually scrapped) my preferences and everything returned to normal. Sure, I had to re-do a bunch of prefs, but the problem was solved.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Lyle,

I fixed my problem by following the advice found on another thread in this forum. I renamed (and eventually scrapped) my preferences and everything returned to normal. Sure, I had to re-do a bunch of prefs, but the problem was solved.

It is likely that you were scaling your image in the Save Photos dialog to something really large.  It is a common mistake to set the scale size to inches instead of pixels and then enter a pixel-size amount such that 4000 pixels is interpreted as 4000 inches.

I'm glad you solved your problem.

-Kirk