Author Topic: Image doesn't appear in Photoshop when using edit button  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Sesshoku

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Image doesn't appear in Photoshop when using edit button
« on: January 05, 2010, 10:34:01 PM »
Software/Machine info: Photo Mechanic version 4.4.3.3 - Intel-based MacBook Pro (1st gen.) with Mac OS X 10.4.11 and Photoshop CS.

After my old Powerbook G4 failed, I was issued this machine and subsequently had to transfer my copies of Photoshop CS and PhotoMechanic to it. Now that everything is installed and running on this machine, I am having an issue when trying to send photos to Photoshop by using the "Edit" button in the single-image view window.

For some reason after I've selected a photo from the PM contact sheet and then used the "Edit" button, the Photoshop works area pulls up but no image appears. I made sure all preferences were set to the same as my old machine on both software titles, and I can't seem to figure out why this is happening. As it is right now. to get a file to open in Photoshop I have to look through the contact sheet, note the image filename then go to Photoshop and use the "Open" command in the file menu and navigate to the filename in the working folder.

This is the first time I've ever experienced this issue, and I'm hopeful it is just something I have overlooked during the install.

Thank you for your help.   

Chad Ryan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Image doesn't appear in Photoshop when using edit button
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 11:06:23 PM »
Chad,

Software/Machine info: Photo Mechanic version 4.4.3.3 - Intel-based MacBook Pro (1st gen.) with Mac OS X 10.4.11 and Photoshop CS.

After my old Powerbook G4 failed, I was issued this machine and subsequently had to transfer my copies of Photoshop CS and PhotoMechanic to it. Now that everything is installed and running on this machine, I am having an issue when trying to send photos to Photoshop by using the "Edit" button in the single-image view window.

For some reason after I've selected a photo from the PM contact sheet and then used the "Edit" button, the Photoshop works area pulls up but no image appears. I made sure all preferences were set to the same as my old machine on both software titles, and I can't seem to figure out why this is happening. As it is right now. to get a file to open in Photoshop I have to look through the contact sheet, note the image filename then go to Photoshop and use the "Open" command in the file menu and navigate to the filename in the working folder.

This is the first time I've ever experienced this issue, and I'm hopeful it is just something I have overlooked during the install.

Can you drag and drop an image from the Finder and have it open in Photoshop?  If not, then your Photoshop needs to be reinstalled.  That's a really old bug (no one has reported it in years now) but it probably still happens now and then.  Also, if it turns out that it is indeed a problem with PM 4.4.3.3 please note that we are currently only fixing bugs in 4.6.x as 4.4.3.3 was phased out years ago.

-Kirk

Offline Sesshoku

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Image doesn't appear in Photoshop when using edit button
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:26:23 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks for the quick reply. It appears Photoshop needs to be re-installed. I knew my version of PM was out of date, I just hoped to find a quick answer like the one you posted. I've tried to get our managing editor to let us purchase the upgrade to PM 4.6.x. Although it seems like it should be a no-brainer, especially for the price, that's another story for another day. 

Thanks again.

Chad