Author Topic: PM, Nikon D90, Windows 7 and Ingesting  (Read 5399 times)

Offline hynek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM, Nikon D90, Windows 7 and Ingesting
« on: January 11, 2010, 03:45:48 AM »
Hi,

I'm on the desperate crusade to find a useful workflow w/o LR. Many people suggested PM to me so I wanted to give it a go, however one of the most basic functionalities doesn't work: Ingesting.

I have to connect my camera by USB, because my card reader (or Win?) can't handle my 32 GB SD card. If I open the ingest dialogue the D90 doesn't appear as a disk and when I add it as a path, it simply doesn't appear in the list.

Also, the D90 doesn't appear in the navigator (while it's perfecly shown in Win Explorer).

Am I missing something?

TIA,
hynek

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM, Nikon D90, Windows 7 and Ingesting
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 06:11:57 AM »
hynek,

I'm on the desperate crusade to find a useful workflow w/o LR. Many people suggested PM to me so I wanted to give it a go, however one of the most basic functionalities doesn't work: Ingesting.

I have to connect my camera by USB, because my card reader (or Win?) can't handle my 32 GB SD card. If I open the ingest dialogue the D90 doesn't appear as a disk and when I add it as a path, it simply doesn't appear in the list.

Also, the D90 doesn't appear in the navigator (while it's perfecly shown in Win Explorer).

Am I missing something?

I'm guessing that you had to install some sort of driver provided by Nikon to make Windows Explorer 'see' your camera when it is plugged in, is that right?  If so, it is true that PM won't see those kinds of devices at all.  If your card doesn't mount as a disk, you can't get PM to access the card in any way.  I suggest finding a better card reader (Sandisk or Lexar) since the performance and convenience on a good reader will more than make up for the deficiencies of using the camera directly.  Otherwise a workaround would be to connect your camera, use Windows Explorer to drag and drop the contents of the card to a location on your hard drive and then Ingest folders from the copied location.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:37:02 AM »
What is mode is the USB connection of the camera set to? In order for the OS (and hence PM) to see the camera as removable disk, it should be set to M (Mass Storage), not P (PTP). In the latter mode, the OS sees the camera as Camera, not as drive. This has its uses (e.g., remote controlling the camera), but it limits some other functions (e.g., accessing the memory card).

You'll find the USB setting somewhere in the settings menu (don't have a D300 myself so can't tell you exactly where).

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline hynek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 07:04:52 AM »
What is mode is the USB connection of the camera set to? In order for the OS (and hence PM) to see the camera as removable disk, it should be set to M (Mass Storage), not P (PTP). In the latter mode, the OS sees the camera as Camera, not as drive. This has its uses (e.g., remote controlling the camera), but it limits some other functions (e.g., accessing the memory card)

Unfortunately, the D90 has no mass storage option (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm). :( Which is embarassing as even my HTC Hero has this option.

Offline hynek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 07:06:30 AM »
If so, it is true that PM won't see those kinds of devices at all.  If your card doesn't mount as a disk, you can't get PM to access the card in any way. 

That's sad, as eg Zoner Photo Studio perfectly imports my pictures (but has a skewed workflow :(). I'll see how I can get a SD reader.

Thanks!

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 11:42:59 AM »
What is mode is the USB connection of the camera set to? In order for the OS (and hence PM) to see the camera as removable disk, it should be set to M (Mass Storage), not P (PTP). In the latter mode, the OS sees the camera as Camera, not as drive. This has its uses (e.g., remote controlling the camera), but it limits some other functions (e.g., accessing the memory card)

Unfortunately, the D90 has no mass storage option (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm). :( Which is embarassing as even my HTC Hero has this option.

That's a bummer indeed  :(

On the other hand, downloading is usually faster, and safer, with a card reader anyway (and they're not too expensive to get either).

Cheers,
     Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl