Author Topic: Request to restore renaming functionality of previous versions  (Read 2800 times)

Offline pappajaysierra

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Request to restore renaming functionality of previous versions
« on: January 31, 2010, 04:45:05 AM »
I have recently upgraded to PhotoMechanic 4.6 from 4.4(?).
When manually renaming files by clicking on the file name in the Contact Sheet view and then pressing the Enter/Return key, the Contact Sheet view changes to the position in the folder now occupied by the renamed and re-ordered file.  This doen't make for an efficient workflow, as to rename the next file, you have to navigate back to start/previous part of the folder.
In previous versions there was a workaround.  You could select a file, which meant that the existing position in the folder was retained, and then click on the file name of the adjacent file to rename it.  Is it possible to restore this functionality, or provide some other means of manually renaming files without shifting the view to another part of the folder.  Maybe this is possible in 4.6 and I haven't discovered it.  If so a heads-up would be appreciated.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Request to restore renaming functionality of previous versions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:37:36 AM »
I have recently upgraded to PhotoMechanic 4.6 from 4.4(?).
When manually renaming files by clicking on the file name in the Contact Sheet view and then pressing the Enter/Return key, the Contact Sheet view changes to the position in the folder now occupied by the renamed and re-ordered file.  This doen't make for an efficient workflow, as to rename the next file, you have to navigate back to start/previous part of the folder.
In previous versions there was a workaround.  You could select a file, which meant that the existing position in the folder was retained, and then click on the file name of the adjacent file to rename it.  Is it possible to restore this functionality, or provide some other means of manually renaming files without shifting the view to another part of the folder.  Maybe this is possible in 4.6 and I haven't discovered it.  If so a heads-up would be appreciated.

If you use the Tab key (or Shift-Tab) to end the current rename and begin a rename on the next (or previous photo if you use Shift-Tab) then you'll see a brief scroll to the location of the renamed photo followed by the contact sheet showing the old position with the new photo selected and ready to edit.

HTH,

-Kirk