Author Topic: cataloguing program?  (Read 4875 times)

Offline ricardsonwilliams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
cataloguing program?
« on: February 10, 2010, 05:15:20 AM »
I'm plan to buy PM, but I have many DVDs and need PM catalog them, I'm using Aperture 2.

Thanks!
Ricardson

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: cataloguing program?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 07:09:33 AM »
Ricardson,

I'm plan to buy PM, but I have many DVDs and need PM catalog them, I'm using Aperture 2.

We are indeed working on a cataloging solution but I don't have a release date for you.

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 08:54:36 AM »
Have any workaround? maybe generate a small JPEG from my RAWs and import them into a folder.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:58:19 AM »
Have any workaround? maybe generate a small JPEG from my RAWs and import them into a folder.

You could browse your DVDs, do a save as to a folder with the same name as the DVD's title and then use the Spotlight integrated search in PM.  When you have 'hits' on folders that represent DVDs you would then know which DVD to get out of your stack.

HTH,

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 06:08:57 AM »

You could browse your DVDs, do a save as to a folder with the same name as the DVD's title and then use the Spotlight integrated search in PM.  When you have 'hits' on folders that represent DVDs you would then know which DVD to get out of your stack.

HTH,

-Kirk

I didn't catch... could please give more details? I have many JPEGs in some DVDs.

Thanks,
Ricardson

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 09:40:29 AM »
Ricardson,

I didn't catch... could please give more details? I have many JPEGs in some DVDs.

You would load one DVD and browse it with PM.  Select all photos and do a Save As (scaling down the size of the image to something manageable) to a folder whose name is the same name as the DVD's name is.  So let's say your first DVD is titled "Hockey 2009".  You would insert the DVD and browse it with PM.  Select all of the images, do a Save as to a 800 pixel box (or whatever size you prefer) to a folder named "Hockey 2009".  You would then repeat this procedure with each DVD in your stack.  Then you'd put away the stack of DVDs.  When you want to find photos with particular attributes (keywords for instance) you would use the Search panel in PM.  Images matching that criteria would appear in the search results.  When you click on a particular photo of interest, the status text at the bottom of the window would show the path to the file which would include the name of the DVD it came from.  You would then fetch that DVD and mount it, browsing it with PM in another contact sheet tab.  Find that image with the same filename in the contact sheet and you now have your original image.

HTH,

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 11:36:28 PM »
Ricardson,

You would load one DVD and browse it with PM.  Select all photos and do a Save As (scaling down the size of the image to something manageable) to a folder whose name is the same name as the DVD's name is.  So let's say your first DVD is titled "Hockey 2009".  You would insert the DVD and browse it with PM.  Select all of the images, do a Save as to a 800 pixel box (or whatever size you prefer) to a folder named "Hockey 2009".  You would then repeat this procedure with each DVD in your stack.  Then you'd put away the stack of DVDs.  When you want to find photos with particular attributes (keywords for instance) you would use the Search panel in PM.  Images matching that criteria would appear in the search results.  When you click on a particular photo of interest, the status text at the bottom of the window would show the path to the file which would include the name of the DVD it came from.  You would then fetch that DVD and mount it, browsing it with PM in another contact sheet tab.  Find that image with the same filename in the contact sheet and you now have your original image.

HTH,

-Kirk

Thanks very much!