Photo Mechanic > General Discussion

Create XMP sidecar with Phase One files

(1/2) > >>

cbarber:
Hi,

Is there a way to create xmp files alongside Phase One (P45+) files instead of embedding the data into the original file? I have tried several times with various versions of PM but haven't had any luck. I was told at one time PM treats the Phase One file as a "non-camera TIFF file". I am not sure what exactly that means in relation to creating xmp files but programs, such as Bridge, and Expression Media (iView) do it easily.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: cbarber on February 21, 2010, 10:18:11 AM ---Is there a way to create xmp files alongside Phase One (P45+) files instead of embedding the data into the original file? I have tried several times with various versions of PM but haven't had any luck. I was told at one time PM treats the Phase One file as a "non-camera TIFF file". I am not sure what exactly that means in relation to creating xmp files but programs, such as Bridge, and Expression Media (iView) do it easily.
--- End quote ---

Does the file end in .TIFF?  If so, PM is always going to embed metadata into the files since TIFF is an open, documented file format.  No applications should expect to see an XMP sidecar file along side a TIFF file.

Is there some sort of problem you're trying to avoid?

What version of Photo Mechanic are you using?

-Kirk

cbarber:
Thank you for your prompt reply.

The RAW files end with a .TIF extension. All my files off the back (several years) end with .TIF and Bridge automatically creates and writes to xmp side cars when I create or edit my metadata. If I throw the xmp file away no metadata I created shows up on the RAW file. I would prefer PM to create xmp files too.

My concern writing directly to the RAW file is that the file has now been altered from its original state and down the road I might have an issue reprocessing the file in a future version of C1 for example. I do not know how much merit my concern has and would love to not worry about such things.

My version of PM is the latest V. 4.6.3 (a trial version).

Thank you.

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: cbarber on February 21, 2010, 11:43:47 AM ---The RAW files end with a .TIF extension. All my files off the back (several years) end with .TIF and Bridge automatically creates and writes to xmp side cars when I create or edit my metadata. If I throw the xmp file away no metadata I created shows up on the RAW file. I would prefer PM to create xmp files too.

My concern writing directly to the RAW file is that the file has now been altered from its original state and down the road I might have an issue reprocessing the file in a future version of C1 for example. I do not know how much merit my concern has and would love to not worry about such things.

My version of PM is the latest V. 4.6.3 (a trial version).
--- End quote ---

Well perhaps there is some sort of distinguishing characteristic in the TIFF files produced by your camera that we could detect and cause Photo Mechanic to treat them specially.  Let me know if you want to share a sample file for us to use to investigate this possibility.

-Kirk

cbarber:
Yes, I'd be very happy to share a file with you. Please tell me where to upload it.
Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version