Author Topic: Canon 1D Mark III and the {act} variable  (Read 2318 times)

Offline semillerimages

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Canon 1D Mark III and the {act} variable
« on: December 01, 2009, 04:17:50 PM »
Hi all,

I am running Photo Mechanic 4.6.2.1 on a Mac G5 with OSX 10.4.11

When I use the {act} variable in my renaming scheme for my 1D Mark III files, it only gives me a 4 digit # that happens to correspond to the the frame # variable also. I have over 100,000 actuations for sure on this camera.
When I ingest and rename files from my Canon 1Ds Mark II, it gives me a 6 digit #, which more or less correct in my estimation of the correct # of actuations.

I did search through the forums and noticed a couple of references to this topic, but none applied to what I am seeing now. I apologize if the topic has been covered and a solution shown already.

Thank you!

*steve

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Canon 1D Mark III and the {act} variable
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 04:31:54 PM »
Steve,

I am running Photo Mechanic 4.6.2.1 on a Mac G5 with OSX 10.4.11

When I use the {act} variable in my renaming scheme for my 1D Mark III files, it only gives me a 4 digit # that happens to correspond to the the frame # variable also. I have over 100,000 actuations for sure on this camera.
When I ingest and rename files from my Canon 1Ds Mark II, it gives me a 6 digit #, which more or less correct in my estimation of the correct # of actuations.

I did search through the forums and noticed a couple of references to this topic, but none applied to what I am seeing now. I apologize if the topic has been covered and a solution shown already.

I don't know why it wouldn't be working for you.  Perhaps a firmware upgrade has caused the camera to write the MakerNote data out in a way that PM no longer recognizes it.  Please send me a sample JPEG file, straight from the camera.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline Pixel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
Any new info on this? Will PM be fixed to render actual shutter counts on Mark III and newer cameras?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »
Any new info on this? Will PM be fixed to render actual shutter counts on Mark III and newer cameras?

If we can reverse-engineer how Canon stores this information.  They keep changing how the data is stored and they don't document the format of the data.

-Kirk