Author Topic: Search, sort and move via a text file  (Read 2679 times)

Offline dmwierz

• View Profile
Search, sort and move via a text file
« on: March 23, 2010, 02:46:13 AM »
Hey! I have a buddy who has a challenge and would like to use PM but I'm not sure how or if it can be done.

Customer places order on website for the following files:

XYZ1350
XYZ1275
XYZ1352
XYZ0963
XYZ1347
XYZ1346

My buddy says he has a text file that can be generated with the above file names, and he wants to put that into an import field (or however it should be done in PM), all at once and have PM pull those photos and put them into a folder of his choice… in this case, the customer’s name.  He knows he could find each file individually but wants it quick, quick, quick.  Plus, sometimes he gets 10 or more files at once.  He knows Lightroom can do it.  Can PM do it?

I'm not sure which version of PM he's using or OS but will find out.

Thanks,

Dennis
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:50:06 AM by dmwierz »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Search, sort and move via a text file
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 06:55:55 AM »
Dennis,

Hey! I have a buddy who has a challenge and would like to use PM but I'm not sure how or if it can be done.

Customer places order on website for the following files:

XYZ1350
XYZ1275
XYZ1352
XYZ0963
XYZ1347
XYZ1346

My buddy says he has a text file that can be generated with the above file names, and he wants to put that into an import field (or however it should be done in PM), all at once and have PM pull those photos and put them into a folder of his choice… in this case, the customer’s name.  He knows he could find each file individually but wants it quick, quick, quick.  Plus, sometimes he gets 10 or more files at once.  He knows Lightroom can do it.  Can PM do it?

I'm not sure which version of PM he's using or OS but will find out.

He would have to open the folder containing the images first and then use the "Load Selection..." command on the Edit menu.  The files would then be selected if their names matched files in the current contact sheet tab.  From there he can do any operation that PM can do on a selection of files.

-Kirk

Offline dmwierz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 07:21:20 AM »
Kirk,

Thanks for the timely reply. I'm not sure if that's what he's looking for, so I sent him the link to this thread and will see if he can log-in and describe his challenge in more detail.

Regards,
Dennis

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 06:01:48 AM »
He would have to open the folder containing the images first and then use the "Load Selection..." command on the Edit menu.  The files would then be selected if their names matched files in the current contact sheet tab.  From there he can do any operation that PM can do on a selection of files.

-Kirk

Thanks for this reply - I've never spotted this potentially very useful feature before!

Offline dmwierz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 02:14:27 AM »
Thanks, Kirk - that seemed to do the trick for him!

Dennis