Author Topic: Favorites Panel Question  (Read 3291 times)

Offline JamesD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Favorites Panel Question
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:30:28 PM »
Hi, All,

I have a new iMac with Snow Leopard 10.6.3
I have Photo Mechanic 4.6.3

I will be using Photo Mechanic as my sole Viewer/Browser/Organizer.  (i.e., not just as an Ingester/Sorter/Culler and then move on)

I am in the beginning stages of figuring out how to set it up, configure it, etc. to work the way I want it.
In anticipation of moving all of my pictures over from my backup media from my old crashed PC, I am experimenting with folders and pictures in the Navigator panel and Favorites panel.

The way I had my pictures on my old PC I had a top folder “My Pictures” with two or three levels of nested subfolders underneath.

I have quickly figured out here that I want to put “My Pictures” up in the Favorites panel.

Whenever I open Photo Mechanic, though, the My Pictures folder appears UNexpanded.
It would be really tedious to have to click on a ton of little widgets to get all my folders and subfolders to show up.

Is there any way to get Photo Mechanic to OPEN with my “My Pictures” folder already expanded, showing all of my folders and subfolders which I can then pick and choose from?

Or do I have to do something like manually put each separate subfolder up in the Favorites panel in columnar (as opposed to tree) form.

Then each time I create another folder or subfolder, remember to manually put it up in the Favorites panel?

? ? ?

I hope there is some elegant way of doing this I am overlooking.

Thanks

James

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Favorites Panel Question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 10:02:13 PM »
James,

I have a new iMac with Snow Leopard 10.6.3
I have Photo Mechanic 4.6.3

I will be using Photo Mechanic as my sole Viewer/Browser/Organizer.  (i.e., not just as an Ingester/Sorter/Culler and then move on)

I am in the beginning stages of figuring out how to set it up, configure it, etc. to work the way I want it.
In anticipation of moving all of my pictures over from my backup media from my old crashed PC, I am experimenting with folders and pictures in the Navigator panel and Favorites panel.

The way I had my pictures on my old PC I had a top folder “My Pictures” with two or three levels of nested subfolders underneath.

I have quickly figured out here that I want to put “My Pictures” up in the Favorites panel.

Whenever I open Photo Mechanic, though, the My Pictures folder appears UNexpanded.
It would be really tedious to have to click on a ton of little widgets to get all my folders and subfolders to show up.

Is there any way to get Photo Mechanic to OPEN with my “My Pictures” folder already expanded, showing all of my folders and subfolders which I can then pick and choose from?

No, but if you hold down the Option key while you click on your "My Pictures" folder, it will be expanded and all of the child folders will be expanded as well.

-Kirk

Offline JamesD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:33:55 PM »
James,

No, but if you hold down the Option key while you click on your "My Pictures" folder, it will be expanded and all of the child folders will be expanded as well.

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk.

And just nailing this down... Option/click not on the "My Pictures" folder, but on the widget beside the "My Pictures" folder.
Right?

I have only three little test folders there now (Top | Chile | Gran'baby), but the Option/Click on the top "My Pictures" widget expands 'em all out nice as can be.

If I can do one Option/Click someday and see 30-40 nested folders and subfolders cascade out like a waterfall, that's elegant enough for me.  ;D

THANKS!

James

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 06:36:26 AM »
James,

And just nailing this down... Option/click not on the "My Pictures" folder, but on the widget beside the "My Pictures" folder.
Right?

Yes, sorry.  You need to Option-click on the little triangle preceding the "My Pictures" folder.

-Kirk