Author Topic: Photo Mechanic 4.6.3 rosetta question  (Read 3368 times)

Offline photomechman11

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic 4.6.3 rosetta question
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:05:54 AM »
Hello,

I am running a G5 Tower w/ MAC OS 10.5.8 2.0 Ghz DP.

I just upgraded from PM 4.5.4 to 4.6.3.  With 4.6.3, I am unable to see the content of my server.  Specifically, when I strike the disclosure triangle of the server volume path within Photo Mechanics directory browser, nothing happens, whereas, all local folders disclose without issue...  This is NOT a problem with PM 4.5...  

I have an intel machine, which I was able to boot the PPCs' Hard Drive to, and it seems to be fine when my volume is booted to intel hardware.  Is this a known issue when running 4.6.3 on PPC?     

Thanks,

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:38:28 AM by macmedicvic »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic 4.6.3 rosetta problem
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:41:48 AM »
I am running a G5 Tower w/ MAC OS 10.5.8 2.0 Ghz DP.

I just upgraded from PM 4.5.4 to 4.6.3.  With 4.6.3, I am unable to see the content of my server.  Specifically, when I strike the disclosure triangle of the server volume path, nothing happens, whereas, all local folders disclose without issue...  This is NOT a problem with PM 4.5... 

I have an intel machine, which I was able to boot my Hard Drive to, via. a Firewire target session, and it seems to be fine when my volume is booted to intel hardware.  Is this a known rosetta issue?

Rosetta is used on Intel machines to run PowerPC code.  Photo Mechanic contains both PowerPC and Intel code so Rosetta should never enter the picture.

It sounds like you're describing two issues here but I'm not clear on what you're trying to say.  Let me rephrase what I think you're saying and you tell me if I got it right.

#1) On your PowerPC Mac running PM 4.6.3 you cannot access a server that you used to be able to access with version 4.5.4.  Please try the 4.6.4 beta available in the Announcements section of the forums and let me know if the problem persists.

#2) You have a second Intel-based Mac and you're mounting the server drive on it directly via Firewire and it works fine?

-Kirk

Offline photomechman11

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Mechanic 4.6.3 rosetta question
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:00:08 PM »
My apologies, I know the rosetta/intel emulation concept, I just confused myself when writing my message... 

Anyhow, basically, with a mounted server available on both the PPC and Intel machine, I can see the server on the left hand side of the PM browser, where all of the directories reside...  However, on the PPC, when I select the disclosure triangle for any available server, nothing discloses.  On the intel, however, I hit the disclosure triangle and it shows all server directory content... 

Make sense? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic 4.6.3 rosetta question
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 02:30:40 PM »
My apologies, I know the rosetta/intel emulation concept, I just confused myself when writing my message... 

Anyhow, basically, with a mounted server available on both the PPC and Intel machine, I can see the server on the left hand side of the PM browser, where all of the directories reside...  However, on the PPC, when I select the disclosure triangle for any available server, nothing discloses.  On the intel, however, I hit the disclosure triangle and it shows all server directory content... 

Make sense?

Yes.  Though I can tell you that the code that handles reading the directory contents when the triangle is toggled is the same on both PowerPC and Intel.  Is there something different about the way the server is mounted on the PowerPC system vs. the Intel system?

-Kirk